[Solved] OpenWrt on MT7621/MT7615N devices with 5GHz problems

for me the download speed is very slow & on the wifi page it just says
20 MHz for download and 80Mhz for upload on DFS channels 52,100,132
80Mhz & 80Mhz for 36 & 149 region Australia

Thank you very much for the clarifications.

My region is effectively UK so things could be different here. I will update this thread in due course.

yes it was the DIR-3060-A1 I think :slight_smile:

i also encountered problem with xiaomi r3p wifi 5GHz. whatever country i used, the frequency width is stuck at 20 mhz for download & upload (channel 149-161).

for 2.4 ghz wifi, the download speed is maxed @ 200 Mbps

currently using openwrt stable 21.02.2. no disconnect issue or no internet.

EDIT: After 9 days encountered same 5 GHz problem as in the past.
Connection to router displayed as Excellent.
but
Attempting to open any websites results in the error message:
Address Not Found

With a DIR-878 and DIR-882,
̶N̶̶̶o̶̶̶ ̶̶̶5̶̶̶ ̶̶̶G̶̶̶H̶̶̶z̶̶̶ ̶̶̶W̶̶̶i̶̶̶F̶̶̶i̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶s̶̶̶u̶̶̶e̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶o̶̶̶ ̶̶̶f̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶ ̶̶̶(̶̶̶*̶̶̶5̶̶̶ ̶̶̶d̶̶̶a̶̶̶y̶̶̶s̶̶̶,̶̶̶ ̶̶̶8̶̶̶ ̶̶̶h̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶r̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶c̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶n̶̶̶t̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶g̶̶̶ ̶̶̶.̶̶̶.̶̶̶.̶̶̶)̶̶̶ with Stable release 21.02.3
*Uptime could have been longer but I really trashed the router when attempting to create guest WiFi on it.

I did encounter issues with older Stable releases 21.02.1 and 21.02.2 though.

I have not checked the Wifi throughput as of yet.
Time permitting, will check WiFi throughput in the next few days.

Ran a few speed tests via 5 GHz during the weekend,
Did not encounter any issues.
Results were around 480 Mb/s download with a 500 Mb/s internet service plan.
For comparison, disabled just the wireless on a DIR-878 and tested with a tp-link EAP225 (ceiling mount): Results same/similar to DIR-878 own radios.
Results for upload between the two, were basically the same as well.

Reverted to just using the DIR-878.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Those figures sound encouraging (and may be epsecially relavent for me since I have a 500Mbps connection too).

Was/is the 5GHz radio using a DFS channel?

Tested on channel 149.
Out of habit, I prefer sticking to the upper channels.

I just realized,
I forgot to run WiFi Analyzer on the channel 149 to check if it was clear, before running the tests on 5 GHz. :flushed:

Test results could have been better, if I had checked first. :roll_eyes:

Thank you. That's interesting considering the different experiences of two other people in this thread, in terms of download bandwidth (albeit with two different routers & perhaps different regions, too).

I'm looking at testing UNI-IIc channels based on the higher power limits for these.

You're welcome.

During my tests,
Some of the budget android phones used for testing ended up with poor results.
Likely due to poor radios included.
e.g. Moto E4, specification with only 802.11a, b, g, n, struggled to just get 80 Mb/s. Looking at the E4 Wifi screen, I'm guessing that it has a single stream antenna (1x1) with theoretical maximum 150 Mb/s.

Two mid?-higher? end Samsung android phones easily reached 470+ Mb/s consistently.

1 Like

Thanks again Warlock.

I took the plunge and installed Openwrt 21.02.3 on my DIR-878 A1. It's connected to one of my primary router's LAN ports. The primary router is a DIR-882 A1 running stock firmware. So far, I've installed nano, htop and irqbalance on the 878.

Both software flow offloading and hardware flow offloading have been enabled.

The primary router is using 5GHz channel 100 and DIR-878 is using channel 132.

According to Google's internet speedtest, I get about 500 to 550Mbps downoload throughtput connected to the primary WiFi and around 300Mbps via the DIR-878. InSSIDer shows the signal of the DIR-878 to fluctuate between 0dBm and 1dBm lower lower than the primary router, yet when moving closer to the routers (perhaps 4 feet away from the 878), I can get throughput of approx 500Mbps from the DIR-878. The routers themselves are a few feet apart.

I will experiment further as time permits :slight_smile:

Since the testing location during the weekend only had 500 Mb/s service,
I did not bother enabling Software flow offloading nor Hardware flow offloading.

A basic test done in 2018 showed an EdgeRouter X, which also uses a MediaTek MT7621AT, easily handling 600+ Mb/s with no offloading.

The test router during the weekend was a DIR-878 rev.A1 with irqbalance, BanIP and Adblock installed and enabled.

Good luck with your experiment.

1 Like

D-Link DIR-878 rev.A1
As a result of encountering the old error message: Address Not Found

Time permitting,
Will try out the OpenWrt 22.03.0-rc1.

Which means I likely won't get to use BanIP again... :frowning:

EDIT 22.03.0-rc1: Within 16 hours with an android phone, encountered the old/same 5 GHz WiFi error message: Connected, no Internet

Back to testing Development snapshot builds.

i just got no internet error for the first time in OpenWrt 21.02.3 with 2.4 GHz wifi. but it only occur when i use band width 40 mhz and check "Force 40MHz mode".

when there is no 40 mhz device connected (20 mhz only), all devices is normal even when i use 40 mhz and check "Force 40MHz mode".

so the problem is when there is 40 mhz device connected, some devices become no internet, can't ping, but wifi connected.

Mine was left at default Width 20 MHz, for 2.4 GHz

if anyone has same problem and using xiaomi r3p, i think this one is useful (afaik, using stock driver):

no problem at all for now.

Update,
With the Development Snapshot build r19602-cb1dc49c18, 11 days, 2 hrs ... uptime,
Have yet to encounter the annoying 5 GHz WiFi errors
Address Not Found
nor
Connected, no Internet

EDIT: Uptime

1 Like

I may be missing something here but I've been running OpenWrt on my AC2600 DIR-882 A1 since february using the build that was provided in this link https://openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-882_a1 and other than a few minor adjustable tweaks I had to do to setup and understand what was going on under the hood, I haven't encountered any major issues whatsoever with either bands. I found this thread out of curiosity trying to lookup what others had to say about their experiences with this specific model. If there's anything I can do to help feel free to ask me for anything you would think of that may be useful in troubleshooting your issue but so far I have nothing but praises to give so far when comparing OpenWrt's firmware vs Dlink's OEM fw. If anything, OpenWrt's FW rekindled my passion I had in Networking and it swung me back into the rabbit hole (V)

Like I said, I might be missing some crucial information about the actual issue here or maybeI just got lucky and landed on a piece of hardware that isn't somehow like the rest but I have 0 issues using both 2.4 and 5ghz wireless bands. Both are separated and have been running and operating alot better since I made the FW switch to OpenWrt's so if there's any information, logs or pictures I can provide to help you solve the issue, I'd be more than happy to do so.

Cheers!

1 Like

Your link is to the current Stable Release build 21.02.3, which still displayed multiple errors Address Not Found on the 5 GHz WiFi, after nine days of uptime. Which is a lot better than the two previous Stable releases.

With that said,
So far, I have had better results with Development Snapshot builds released in 2022.

1 Like