[Solved] Networking for LXC container

oops... now that you mention it...... maybe all might work with opkg in a stable release.... you can move ahead without them just be aware if you start seeing "tun" in configs or "ip link add vethXYZ" and they don't work..... those packages will be related....

Here is a script / set of commands that are most of what your trying to do... from a manual side.... it's not fully tested - polished - coherent... may come back and beef it up...

As it is, you can use it to start a manual dnsmasq after editing the top variables to valid settings ( ip assignment probably on lxcbr0 or similar ) better to use lxc built in dnsmasq but this should be useful for testing and understanding the fundamentals.

listenaddr="172.19.91.1"
listenmask="255.255.255.0"
ipstart="172.19.91.101"
ipend="172.19.91.103"
maxlease="2" # number of ips total to lease
masqiface="br1"

runmasqy() {

#this bit is unfinished
	#brctl addbr $masqiface
	#ifconfig br1 $listenaddr netmask $listenmask up

dnsmasq \
	--strict-order --bind-interfaces \
	--pid-file=/run/lxc/dnsmasq.pid --listen-address $listenaddr \
	--dhcp-range $ipstart,$ipend \
	--dhcp-lease-max=$maxlease \
	--dhcp-no-override \
	--except-interface=lo \
	--interface=$masqiface \
	--dhcp-leasefile=/tmp/dnsmasq.$masqiface.leases \
	--dhcp-authoritative &
}

rpfiltoff() {
for rp_filter_file in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter; do
echo 0 > "$rp_filter_file";
done
}
#rpfiltoff

#ip link set br1 promisc on #probs not needed
#echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward #probs needed
#iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o br-lan -s 172.16.91.0/24 -j MASQUERADE
# similar will be needed to nat the "lxc iprange" to a lan ip if you expect LAN hosts need access otherwise you need complex routing.... 

runmasqy
ps w | grep dnsmasq
netstat -tap #i prefer lsof -i -nP but you guessed it, needs compiling )

At least 80% of this is doable through the gui.... after all that br-make action! lol.... but i think its kinda necessary first time round and for trouble shooting to get to grips with the nuts and bolts.....

Thank you very much. I will try it and report back.

BTW one more question. I did not get your comment:

Where do I make this setting? I understand why you want PROMISC mode but I do not understand what you mean by VBOX-GUI? Is the the lxc-lua interface? This does not work for me unfortunately.

Nope... that's only if your "LXC_HOST" is inside a VIRTUALBOX.

( with your was not the right wording - i meant ..... "if your" )

I believe if VMWARE is used... promisc is the default.

Ah ok, no I am using a 'real' box. I have a Gigabyte Brix as router and home server. Be green, save power (and the planet) by eliminating a seperate router, LOL...

@alex1452 If your problem is solved, please consider marking the topic as [Solved] (Click the pencil behind the topic...).

Done. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.