[Solved] Netgear r7800 wireless, 18.06.2

Hi,
Just installed 18.06.2 on an R7800, but not able to create any wireless access points. Can successfully scan and see other networks in the vicinity in both 2.4 and 5Ghz, but I can't see the ones the R7800 is supposed to start with any device. Luci gives me a invalid value every time I try to enter the key. Using SSH I editted the /etc/config/wireless file manually, but still no improvement. The file is now -----------------------------------------------------
OpenWrt 18.06.2, r7676-cddd7b4c77

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option channel '36'
        option hwmode '11a'
        option path 'soc/1b500000.pci/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0'
        option htmode 'VHT80'
        option legacy_rates '1'
        option country 'GB'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option encryption 'psk2'
        option ssid 'bigwideworld2'
        option key 'test5'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option channel '11'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option path 'soc/1b700000.pci/pci0001:00/0001:00:00.0/0001:01:00.0'
        option htmode 'HT20'
        option legacy_rates '1'
        option country 'GB'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
        option device 'radio1'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'greyarea2'
        option encryption 'psk2'
        option key 'test2'

I've compared this to another openwrt machine and it looks reasonable. Can't see why this is happening?
Thanks
James

Could you go through the different tabs of the new WiFi configuration page ad make sure that the browser isn't mistakenly filling any fields with an invalid value. If that's the case you will see the field highlighted in red border.

The large bold font of your message is a bit annoying for the eye, by the way.

Too short WPA2 key. Allowed key length is 8-63 characters.

It took a while to figure out, as I first thought to look for some more complex channel/country etc. issues. But simply copy-pasting your config file and adding three chars to both passwords makes wifi to come up...

LuCI actually pointed it out for you:

1 Like

hnyman; yes I suppose Luci did warn me, just couldn't understand why! Makes sense to have a decent length key, but as I was just testing, thought it made sense to use a short one. Thanks to your help, know better for next time. Much appreciated!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.