I'm on rampis/7621 platform.
I'm going to manually apply the patch to the source code and try again.
Thanks for the hint, will let you know asap.


No way...
patch was already in the right place on my repository:


but behaviour is the same...

I think the issue is inside uqmi package, the usb driver should be ok...

I have checked it, looks like linux-4.14.9 has the patch already in openWRT. I am building it now. Let me try with new build and get back to you.

I am not sure if "target/linux" is the right path to patch! I tried to do the kernel patch on linux-4.14.9 it seems to be the fix is already there. So I have just fired a build as it is.

Again the same issue. I think Daniele is right..I will give up OpenWrt unless some one gives me a solution to make it work..

I did additional tests this morning.

I'm sure to have the patches applied, because I've modified the sources manually (qmi_wwan.c file under .../drivers/net/usb/).

My understanding is that UQMI module does not correctly support SIM7600, this because of:

  1. I see the cdc-wdm0 and ttyUSBx interfaces under /dev
  2. if i manually connect via minicom to /dev/ttyUSB2 interface, I can send AT Commands to the LTE modem, With AT commands I can verify that the modem is correctly registered on the LTE network.

So the patched USB driver is working correctly.

What is missing is the working UQMI module required to activate the network interface, but I'm not skilled enough to dig inside UQMI source code to uderstand why this is not happening.

Thanks Daniele. I think its time to give up OpenWRT. I will go vanilla Debian or any other stuff to make it working. Good byE OpenWRT :slight_smile:

The patch in question does not affect probing or network registration. It changes the /dev/cdc-wdmX device from appearing dead silent to actually work. So the behaviour you describe is stll consistent with the patch not being applied.

But if you say that it is applied, then I am sure it is. Still don't think l a bug in uqmi is a likely cause. Some sort of bad driver/firmware interaction is much more likely IMHO.

1 Like

Thank you bmork,

from my research I understand that working with QMI interfaces always require some "black magic" and the installation is not straightforward as expected.

Sad to say, it's time to give up also for me.

Buddy, don't give up. I got it working :slight_smile: bmork is 100% right. Now I have uqmi to work with my devices. I did nothing other than checking out the main and firing a custom build with qmi enabled on the menuconfig and bunch of other network drivers. Hurray it works now..

My modem is working fine :). I have issues with my UIM and connect command.

root@OpenWrt:/# uqmi -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --wda-get-data-format                     
root@OpenWrt:/# uqmi -d /dev/cdc-wdm0   --get-pin-status                        
"Not supported"                                                                                                                          
root@OpenWrt:/#  uqmi -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --get-serving-system                     
        "registration": "searching",                                            
        "plmn_mcc": 404,                                                        
        "plmn_mnc": 80,                                                         
        "plmn_description": "",                                                 
        "roaming": true                                                         

I have to figure out how to connect my modem with my network provider. Can you help me over there ?

Shouldn't be the same as I did? Checkout latest snapshot, build and run...
Do you mean you set your uqmi as embedded inside kernel <*> instead than compile as module ?
For the configuration I'm setting up a new interface MWAN by means of luci-protocol-qmi...

Thanks to let me know

Yes, just enable that option in kernel. Enable other required network drivers. Dont go with Luci-protocol-qmi. Your kennel should be Linux OpenWrt 4.14.90. Don't patch it manually since the fix is already there. You shall double check it using editing the source file. Let me know if it works. First time uqmi command might hang. Just cancel it and try to fire the second it will pass :slight_smile:

Hello, there is an alternative to using just QMI available which is to use ModemManager. I am working on a LuCI integration for it also, which is available here New LuCI protocol - luci-proto-modemmanager testing You will have to install ModemManager-openwrt from the feeds listed in the link.

All is well, I was able to connect using my script. However there are few issues to get this working. Spent my two days on this piece of stuff.I found that Luci qmi has major issues and br-LAN has troubles. Its not easy cake walk to get this module to work with QMI. I feel this module is not fully tested or people found workarounds and they went silent without fixing/reporting it on OpenWRT. I will be creating a new post of SIMCOM7600E-H Troubles and hopefully some bugs will be raised.

I'm going to give it a trr, then.


I'll wait for your new post, thanks

just edit qmi.sh and add this strings

uqmi -s -d "$device" --get-pin-status &
sleep 3
killall uqmi || echo "UQMI works fine!"


while uqmi -s -d "$device" --get-pin-status | grep '"UIM uninitialized"' > /dev/null; do
	[ -e "$device" ] || return 1
	sleep 1;

this workaround works for me.


Outstanding! :astonished:
It works!
Many thanks!:grin:

@Daniele If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. (Click the pencil behind the topic...)

You can also mark the reply that solved your problem:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.