[Solved] Looking for advice and or a recommendation on my installation thoughts for Dynalink DL-WRX36

Hello, I set this up lastnight and got openwrt working as expected via the "option 2" instructions on the device page here (https://openwrt.org/toh/dynalink/dl-wrx36). However, the storage space is too small for the packages I want to install(70MB). See my output of 'df -h':

root@OpenWrt:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 6.0M      6.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   434.1M      1.0M    433.1M   0% /tmp
/dev/ubi0_2              70.2M     29.7M     36.9M  45% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay       70.2M     29.7M     36.9M  45% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

It would seem that my options from this point are:

1. Mount a USB(Which I have tried, and failed to do because there is no /dev/ID/ assignment for my usb drive) with this guide here: (https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/additional-software/extroot_configuration)

2. Install openwrt on a bootable USB drive, using the command at the end of the installation process:

If I go this route, should I use an actual USB drive, or should I use an NVMe drive on a USB adapter(due to the possibility of R/W limits).

Thoughts on my frankenstein approach are appreciated :slight_smile:

this is to be used for recovery, not every day use.

Should I try again with option 1? My end goal is to have more space so I can install the packages I want. I also got it to recognize the USB drive:

root@OpenWrt:~# lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda           8:0    1 28.7G  0 disk
└─sda1        8:1    1 28.7G  0 part
mtdblock0    31:0    0    1M  0 disk
mtdblock1    31:1    0    1M  0 disk

Sounds like you want an extroot configuration. Have you followed the instructions (including formatting your drive as ext4)?

None of the options will give you more flash, out of the box.

Read

USB support is simply additional packages.

The extroot process is exactly what is needed for the OP's situation given that they want to be able to install more packages than can fit on the internal flash memory. Of course it doesn't increase the device's main storage, but it doesn't need to -- all you need is the extroot related packages (which are fairly small and will easily fit in the available space). Once that's done, the router will boot and pivot to the external storage can be much larger and thus allow for more packages to be installed.

1 Like

Which is the part I meant, when I wrote flash.

Sure... maybe I'm not understanding the point you were trying to make (aside from mabe the semantics)... the OP wants to be able to install more packages than will fit in flash. So expanding with extroot solves that issue, even tough it doesn't change anything internally (and, for that matter (semantics), if the OP uses a USB flash stick, they are getting more flash, just not internal to the box). I don't think the OP was expcting a USB stick to magically increase the internal storage... but since the extroot process is nearly transparent, once running, it will seem like the device has much more flash storage than it did originally.

I just set that up, that worked for me

Awesome!

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.