[SOLVED] Linksys WRT3200ACM - DSD Tech USB to Serial

Hello community,

I am currently having a hard time figuring out how to configure a serial connection to my linksys wrt3200acm.
I own one of the DSD Tech USB to serial boards with a FTDI FT232RL chip (https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07BBPX8B8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
The pin layout of the serial port from the WRT3200ACM should be fairly clear, according to https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/linksys_wrt3200acm, it should be:
Ground, TX, skip, RX skip skip
I've configured Putty on the found COM port (for me it was COM3) with a 125k baud rate.
So, from the adapter, I have only connected GND to GND, TXD to TX, RXD to RX.
The adapter has been set to use 3.3v, however I haven't connected VCC at all.

Plugging in the USB adapter and turning on the router, the router behaves odd - it just flashes real quick and I cannot see anything on RX/TX (the adapter has LED's which are blinking whenever it receives something on RX and TX).
When I now turn off the router, unplug the USB adapter from my PC, but keeping it connected to the serial port of the WRT3200ACM and powering the router back on, I suddenly get RX/TX on the adapter - however I obviously cannot see any output.

Can somebody help me out here or recommend me a USB to TTL adapter that works properly with the serial port of the WRT3200ACM?

Thank you very much in advance!

You sure about that? Usually, it is 115200 baud.

Sorry, my bad, I have used 115200, mistakenly wrote 125k

Ok, try swapping RX and TX. Unfortunately, different people mean different things by it e.g. from target aka DCE vs. from PC aka DTE side.

1 Like

Okay, that is just unbelivable :smiley: It worked right away!
Still, very odd behaviour (at least to me), that the router wont boot then at all.

Anyway, thanks a lot!
Can I somehow donate to you (for a coffee or something)? I am just so grateful you helped me out that quick!

You're very welcome. Just keep contributing to OpenWrt even by just using it and I'm happy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.