[Solved]Installed LUCI to a snapshot version and now no connection

I have a TL-WDR4300 which I flashed with a snapshot version of OpenWrt. I wanted to be able to access the device through the LUCI so I tried to install the package after carrying out the steps from here:

but the commands
opkg update
opkg install luci
were giving errors. So after reading a similar problem in the forums, I found a solution that suggested using:
opkg install --force-overwrite luci-compat
That install seemed to go well. But then when I connect the device via Ethernet to my computer it no longer even connects. This means that not only can I not access it via the web interface which i should now have since I installed the LUCI but I cannot ssh into the device either. What are my options?

Try to reset it 1st, if it fails, reflash.

OK. So I've used tftp method to flash it with original TP-link firmware. The flash went well and the router booted up. But I still have the same problem. I can't connect to. Its an unidentified network and when I go into details there is no IP information. It seems then that this is a hardware problem? From installing a package? Surely not. What do I do?

So you're now running the stock firmware? If you're not getting connectivity at this point, I'd check your physical connection -- connect using ethernet and make sure you have a known good cable plugged into a known working port (check for debris or bent pins, too). If you still can't get a connection, it would suggest that there is a hardware issue and/or that the flash process failed. You could try doing a tftp install of the latest stable release of OpenWrt (22.02.3 as of this moment) -- just download the factory file and flash that using tftp.


Thank you guys. I got it. So I'm in Ireland but the router that I bought from Ebay is American (from the power socket) but I was attempting to flash the non-American version of the firmware. I used the US version and the router has been recovered. I actually had another WDR4300 which had the same problem and I was using the another wrong version. That router is European. There are a lot of versions and the sites direct you to the the site of the country you access it from which means there's a good chance that you get the wrong version if the router is from elsewhere. The moral of the story is to have the right version.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Despite the fact that you're using a US version (which may impact some of the wireless radio parameters), be sure to set your wifi country code properly so that you are operating within the regulations of your region.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.