[Solved] How to get a snapshot bin file with LuCi included?

Ok, I have found out an answer now, but I write it here for any other people like me that looking for simple answer on a simple question and spend many days to found out it:

make image PROFILE=zbt-we1326 PACKAGES="luci"

Why it is not a part of "quick start"? Why LuCi is not a part of snapshort? Release is nice, but it is not useful for me at all because it not have a ZBT WE1326.

One reason is that some routers do not have enough space for LuCI.

ZBT-WE1326-squashfs.bin with luci have 4.0 MB, without 3.8 MB. Is it possible to exclude LuCi with

make image PROFILE=zbt-we1326 PACKAGES="-luci"

exactly for this special case?

LuCI is entirely opt-in.

If you build your own software, or install a snapshot, LuCI is not included unless you add it.

Because the quick start was written for less skilled people that would not be able to use the imagebuilder.

I think we should add a few lines to say that if you don't find your device in the "stable release" there is a "more advanced user way" and linking the imagebuilder article, so people like you won't waste days to find a solution.

let's see what that article author thinks @richb-hanover

because developers don't think normal users should use snapshot builds, at least directly (download and install like with stable release).

Snapshot builds can't install kernel-related packages after a few days because kernel and packages are rebuilt with different source and will not match anymore.

And snapshot builds may or may not break your device since they are rebuilt daily with new committed code, while stable will receive only critical fixes.

right, I did compiled the source for snapshot, it works now! I am developer, it make no sense to work with old release for me, I can not fix some thing and miss many new options. Special I need profile for zbt we-1326 and release do not have it.

So now I know the right way for me and understand how to handle OpenWRT, I hope.

We make a R&D project for WiFi router with special software, OpenWRT have to work without problem because we want to bring our product on the market and it should be not only the cheapest.

Yes, that's the right way for your goal.

Then you can test it and provide them to your end users as if it was a "vendor firmware".

Removing opkg from your builds is also a good idea, to both save space and not have the issues I mentioned above (and also failing to install any package because there is not enough space on your device).

Many "advanced users" or "veterans" of OpenWRT use imagebuilder or compile from source, and then just upgrade the whole firmware after a while.

Best of luck for your project.

Help me please. I would like to test helloworld. The first steps is ok, but I do not see in menuconfig an "examples" submenu. Give me a kick please. One time I have seen it, but now it is gone. And LuCi as well. What is happen?

If you don't see both your feed and Luci feed, then it seems you deleted feeds from the build folder with either a

./scripts/feeds uninstall -a
./scripts/feeds clean

Or if you did a make dirclean or make distclean I think it also deletes feeds in the build folder.

Run the following commands from the build folder to download/refresh again all feeds and then you should see all packages available in the make menuconfig menu.

./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a

For further questions on that tutorial it's better if you open a new thread about your new issue and call Antek by writing @Antek in your post. He wrote that tutorial and can answer you better.

@Antek please help me, how to test helloworld.

Make sure your new package feed is listed in feeds.conf as shown in the tutorial. Then run the commands posted by @bobafetthotmail. The package should appear to make menuconfig. If it does not, check the paths that they are correct; be especially mindful to avoid relative paths.

If this doesn't work, then start from scratch, following the tutorial step by step from the beginning and without deviations.

The tutorial is primarily intended for those routers which are supported out-of-the-box. Also, it has not been updated for a while so if the master branch has been refactored due to the OWRT/LEDE merger, then the instructions might not apply anymore.

Note that I have not explicitly tested the tutorial against the LEDE SDK distribution.

Hi Antek. Thank you very much for your help.

We will do it now together, step by step:

~/Git$ git clone https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt.git
~/Git/openwrt$ ./scripts/feeds update -a
~/Git/openwrt$ ./scripts/feeds install -a
~/Git/openwrt$ make menuconfig
~/Git/openwrt$ make V=s

Now it is a time for coffee. My package is:

~/helloworld$ ls
helloworld  helloworld.c  helloworld.o
~/helloworld$ ./helloworld
Hello, World!
~/mypackages/examples/helloworld$ ls