[Solved] How do you build a multi-router network in VirtualBox?

I've been trying to build a multi-router networking lab using OpenWRT, and I can't seem to get the second router up and running.

I've followed this guide to get the first router up and running, and it seems to work great!

When it comes to the second router, I first create a new host-only adapter (it gets the IPv4 address 192.168.57.1) and then try to follow the guide from there using a full clone, replacing all instances of 192.168.56.2 with 192.168.57.2 . The problem I run into on this route is that uci then consistently fails and reports that it's got invalid arguments, and I can't figure out what it is about the new address that's supposedly invalid.

Since cloning doesn't seem to work, then next thing I've tried is to create a new virtual disk and follow the guide all the way through again, substituting in the new host-only adapter and its associated values where those of vboxnet0 went for the first router. uci stops throwing the arguments error, but after I run uci set network.lan.ipaddr='192.168.57.2', I'm unable to login via SSH. My host returns that the protocol is unavailable.

At this point, I figured it was time to consult those both smarter and more experienced than myself. This is clearly an oversight of my own, so if you think you know what it is I would really appreciate your advice.

That is more a question for virtualbox, and its hypervisor side networking management options, than for OpenWrt itself.

3 Likes

I'll be sure to see what I can find out about this from virtualbox, thank you

It turns out that I don't need to create a new host-only adapter for each instance. To add additional routers to my network, I only have to make sure that DHCP is disabled for the host-only adapter, then run uci set network.lan.ipaddr='192.168.56.x' to assign a unique address to the virtual machine from within the router instance. Follow the rest of the setup guide as usual, being sure to supply the correct IP address for any router in place of 192.168.56.2.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.