[Solved/hotfixed] SQM does not reinitialize after ifdown/ifup

So I'm I having a curious issue with SQM (sqm-scripts 1.2.2-1) on a recently installed OpenWrt snapshot (r7054-64b5324). It works fine ... until I issue ifup wan (as I am doing once a day via cron, preemptive to my ISP's 24-hour disconnect). For some reason, SQM does not re-initialize on the newly brought up wan interface and is notably absent when checking bufferbloat.

My first check was /etc/hotplug.d/iface/11-sqm, but turns out it is properly called when the pppoe-wan interface comes up. Yet /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh start ${DEVICE} (with $DEVICE being "pppoe-wan") does not do anything, neither when called from the hotplug script nor when I manually call it from the command line.

So I took a look at /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh and found that it checks for the existence of the /tmp/run/sqm/pppoe-wan.state statefile, which is still present after pppoe-wan goes down and up again, and thus the start_sqm_section function prematurely returns without doing anything. I can't find any mechanism that would actually remove that statefile when the interface goes down. The hotplug script certainly doesn't.

At the moment, I replaced /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh start ${DEVICE} with /etc/init.d/sqm restart in the hotplug script, which of course restarts SQM and "fixes" the problem. But I can't shake the feeling that there's some sort of issue here.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks for the bug report, will have a look how to fix this later. My hunch is that restart is exactly the right fix. I wonder at what point this broke (or whether it ever worked correctly). Many thanks

Ah, I think I found it:
02c8aed9b52a78d6c2710a14f3c684b7fff3d3ad
changed start to not automatically stop interfaces, it sees we missed to adjust the hotplug script accordingly.

Okay so I changed /etc/hotplug.d/iface/11-sqm to:

#!/bin/sh

restart_sqm() {
    /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh stop ${DEVICE}
    /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh start ${DEVICE}
}

[ "$ACTION" = ifup ] && /etc/init.d/sqm enabled && restart_sqm

[ "$ACTION" = ifdown ] && /etc/init.d/sqm enabled && /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh stop ${DEVICE}

This should do the trick (with belt and suspenders ;))

After some thinking and some reading in the scripts, I came to the same conclusion. However, wouldn't it be sufficient to have:

#!/bin/sh

[ "$ACTION" = ifup ] && /etc/init.d/sqm enabled && /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh start ${DEVICE}
[ "$ACTION" = ifdown ] && /etc/init.d/sqm enabled && /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh stop ${DEVICE}

Considering that an ifdown event already stops sqm on that interface, stopping it once again before starting it would be redundant, no?

1 Like

Well, belt and suspenders ;). I believe you are right, the restart_sqm() approach recreates the old and tested state, which I believe we should. Adding the ifdown stanza is redundant, but should not really hurt (if interfaces are "flapping" fast enuogh for this to matter, I would say there are bigger issues to be fixed first ;))

1 Like

I believe that issueing the following command from a router’s command line should solve the issue until the sqm-scripts package is updated:

echo '[ "$ACTION" = ifdown ] && /etc/init.d/sqm enabled && /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh stop ${DEVICE}' >> /etc/hotplug.d/iface/11-sqm

This is intended as instructions for other's stumbling over this thread....

P.S.:
Sorry, I fudged this, my OS "helpfully" replaced straight quotes with "curled"/typographic ones and that does not work, whoever invented the moniker "smart quotes" for that underhanded text mangling certainly had my kind of humor...
Just checked, my OS might be clean, it seems that the forum software will "abuse" straight quotes unless they are pasted as preformatted text, go figure...

1 Like

@moeller0
Sorry for the noobish question, but what do you exactly mean with "command line" ?
Do i just have to enter this command once via putty and than it will work for the future if i do my cron job to reconnect my pppoe-wan interface ?

edit: Will it survive a reboot and the next wan ifup ?

echo ‘[ “$ACTION” = ifdown ] && /etc/init.d/sqm enabled && /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh stop ${DEVICE}’ >> /etc/hotplug.d/iface/11-sqm

Well text-mode terminal access, with an ssh client like putty or openssh. Sorry for being imprecise.

Yes it should, what it does is to change the sqm hotplug script that is always executed when an interface appears or disappears, so once you change that file ifup ifdown events should be handled by sqm as expected again.

Assuming your overlay partition is not already full it should both survive a reboot (but not a re-flash!) as well as it should be active on the next ifdown/ifup cycle. The version I recommended for you will require that you start with a single "ifdown wan" and then with "ifup wan" from that point on things should work automatically again.

Best Regards

1 Like

Ok i'll give it a try in a few mins, cant't kill the wan right now as my wife is using the internet for video chat at the moment... :wink:
And i should have enough space at the overlay partition, i'm using a WRT3200acm @Davidc's latest build.

The version I recommended for you will require that you start with a single “ifdown wan” and then with “ifup wan” from that point on things should work automatically again.

I assume that you are talking about the cron job for the pppoe/wan reconnect right ?

0 8 * * * ifdown wan; sleep 30; ifup wan

Would/should this one work ?

Best Regards !!

Oh, I had simply thought you log into the router using putty and issue "ifdown wan" to clean things up, followed by "ifup wan" to see whether things work as expected. After that things should just work with or without the cron script... Now please test whether things work and holler if there are still issues...

regarding cron, I am no expert, but 0 8 * * * looks like everyday at 8 o'clock in the morning correct? And yes "ifup wan" seems required as "ifup pppoe-wan" will just throw an error (but you know that already!). So from my limited experience this looks like it should work.

Me neither lol... a few guys at this forum helped me to set it up / figure out the right commands.
And you are correct, 0 8 * * * is 8 in the morning but i can easy set it up for testing at another time... For example 55 21 * * * (21:55 evening)
ifup pppoe-wan didn't worked out for me the last time, only ifup wan worked.

I'll definitely let you know if it works for me !!

@moeller0
It doesn't seem to work (for me)...
I've typed the command via putty and did ifdown wan + ifup wan after and speeds went back to default state (no SQM/QOS at all)
Then i rebooted the router, tested and SQM was working. Did ifdown wan + ifupwan again and speeds went back to default (without SQM), type the command again, did ifdown wan + ifupwan and speeds remain the same...

Am i doing something wrong ?

edit:

root@WRT3200ACM:~# cat /etc/hotplug.d/iface/11-sqm
#!/bin/sh

[ "$ACTION" = ifup ] && /etc/init.d/sqm enabled && /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh start ${DEVICE}

As far as i can tell tc -s qdisc shows after ifup wan that it should actually work @dev pppoe-wan but for some reason it's not... :confused:

1 Like

Confirmed the issue and the fix.
I have a PPPoE DSL connection, and my ISP force an IP renewal every 17 ~ 24 hrs, which forced me to restart the SQM service once a day.

I think this fix should be applied to the packages repository, and also backported to the 18.06 branch.

@tohojo What do yo think? it seems you are the package creator/maintainer.

1 Like

Sorry, I did careless copy and paste and did not check the result, the straight quotes in my command line above got replaced by typographic/curled quotes and the shell most likely did not fancy that.

Your cat result confirms that the change did not make it into 11-sqm so you could not expect any different behaviour from before.

Let's try again :wink: This time, I will use preformatted text and will not use additional quotes:
Please copy and paste the following into putty (assuming that putty is "connected" to your router):
1)

echo '[ "$ACTION" = ifdown ] && /etc/init.d/sqm enabled && /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh stop ${DEVICE}' >> /etc/hotplug.d/iface/11-sqm
  1. then run the following and post the output here:
cat /etc/hotplug.d/iface/11-sqm
  1. then run the following and post the output here:
tc -s qdisc
  1. then (run & post output)
ifdown wan ; sleep 30 ; ifup wan
  1. and finally (again)
tc -s qdisc

Yes i was connected to my router via putty.
I'll try it again real quick...

#!/bin/sh

root@WRT3200ACM:~# tc -s qdisc
qdisc noqueue 0: dev lo root refcnt 2
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc mq 0: dev eth1 root
 Sent 159881 bytes 1809 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :8 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
  maxpacket 0 drop_overlimit 0 new_flow_count 0 ecn_mark 0
  new_flows_len 0 old_flows_len 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :7 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :6 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :5 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :4 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :3 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 159881 bytes 1809 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc mq 0: dev eth0 root
 Sent 1089294 bytes 1476 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 1)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 1
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :8 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :7 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :6 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :5 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :4 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :3 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target                                                                                                               5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 1089294 bytes 1476 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 1)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 1
qdisc noqueue 0: dev br-guest root refcnt 2
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc noqueue 0: dev eth0.3 root refcnt 2
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc noqueue 0: dev br-lan root refcnt 2
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc noqueue 0: dev eth0.1 root refcnt 2
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc noqueue 0: dev eth1.2 root refcnt 2
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc mq 0: dev wlan1 root
 Sent 12983 bytes 138 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1 parent :4 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 targe                                                                                                              t 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1 parent :3 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 targe                                                                                                              t 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 12983 bytes 138 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1 parent :2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 targe                                                                                                              t 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 targe                                                                                                              t 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc mq 0: dev wlan0 root
 Sent 3309 bytes 40 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0 parent :4 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 targe                                                                                                              t 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0 parent :3 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 targe                                                                                                              t 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 3309 bytes 40 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0 parent :2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 targe                                                                                                              t 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 targe                                                                                                              t 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc mq 0: dev wlan1-1 root
 Sent 1528 bytes 12 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1-1 parent :4 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 tar                                                                                                              get 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1-1 parent :3 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 tar                                                                                                              get 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 1528 bytes 12 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1-1 parent :2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 tar                                                                                                              get 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1-1 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 tar                                                                                                              get 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc cake 8007: dev pppoe-wan root refcnt 2 bandwidth 9500Kbit besteffort dual-                                                                                                              srchost nat split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 34 mpu 64
 Sent 19299 bytes 71 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 32 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
 memory used: 2944b of 4Mb
 capacity estimate: 9500Kbit
 min/max network layer size:           40 /    1492
 min/max overhead-adjusted size:       74 /    1526
 average network hdr offset:            0

Tin 0
  thresh       9500Kbit
  target          5.0ms
  interval      100.0ms
  pk_delay        974us
  av_delay         32us
  sp_delay          8us
  pkts               71
  bytes           19299
  way_inds            0
  way_miss           17
  way_cols            0
  drops               0
  marks               0
  ack_drop            0
  sp_flows            1
  bk_flows            1
  un_flows            0
  max_len          1711
  quantum           300

qdisc ingress ffff: dev pppoe-wan parent ffff:fff1 ----------------
 Sent 16630 bytes 75 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc cake 8008: dev ifb4pppoe-wan root refcnt 2 bandwidth 45Mbit besteffort dua                                                                                                              l-dsthost nat wash split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 34 mpu 64
 Sent 16630 bytes 75 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 8 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
 memory used: 3968b of 4Mb
 capacity estimate: 45Mbit

Tin 0
  thresh         45Mbit
  target          5.0ms
  interval      100.0ms
  pk_delay         73us
  av_delay          2us
  sp_delay          1us
  pkts               75
  bytes           16630
  way_inds            0
  way_miss           23
  way_cols            0
  drops               0
  marks               0
  ack_drop            0
  sp_flows            1
  bk_flows            1
  un_flows            0
  max_len          1492
  quantum          1373

qdisc mq 0: dev wlan0-1 root
 Sent 746 bytes 7 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0-1 parent :4 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 tar                                                                                                              get 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0-1 parent :3 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 tar                                                                                                              get 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 746 bytes 7 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0-1 parent :2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 tar                                                                                                              get 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0-1 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 tar                                                                                                              get 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
root@WRT3200ACM:~# ifdown wan ; sleep 30 ; ifup wan
root@WRT3200ACM:~#

root@WRT3200ACM:~# tc -s qdisc
qdisc noqueue 0: dev lo root refcnt 2
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc mq 0: dev eth1 root
 Sent 19355277 bytes 47221 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 3)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 3
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :8 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :7 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :6 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :5 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :4 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :3 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth1 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 19355277 bytes 47221 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 3)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 3
  maxpacket 1514 drop_overlimit 0 new_flow_count 3 ecn_mark 0
qdisc mq 0: dev eth0 root
 Sent 89723822 bytes 72388 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 1)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 1
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :8 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :7 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :6 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :5 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :4 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :3 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev eth0 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 89723822 bytes 72388 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 1)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 1
  maxpacket 152 drop_overlimit 0 new_flow_count 1 ecn_mark 0
qdisc noqueue 0: dev br-guest root refcnt 2
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc noqueue 0: dev eth0.3 root refcnt 2
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc noqueue 0: dev br-lan root refcnt 2
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc noqueue 0: dev eth0.1 root refcnt 2
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc noqueue 0: dev eth1.2 root refcnt 2
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc mq 0: dev wlan1 root
 Sent 40566 bytes 416 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1 parent :4 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1 parent :3 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 40566 bytes 416 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1 parent :2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc mq 0: dev wlan0 root
 Sent 30892 bytes 318 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0 parent :4 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0 parent :3 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 30892 bytes 318 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0 parent :2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc mq 0: dev wlan1-1 root
 Sent 1780 bytes 18 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1-1 parent :4 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1-1 parent :3 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 1780 bytes 18 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1-1 parent :2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan1-1 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc cake 8008: dev ifb4pppoe-wan root refcnt 2 bandwidth 45Mbit besteffort dual-dsthost nat wash split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 34 mpu 64
 Sent 85040175 bytes 66488 pkt (dropped 361, overlimits 113744 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
 memory used: 178560b of 4Mb
 capacity estimate: 45Mbit

Tin 0
  thresh         45Mbit
  target          5.0ms
  interval      100.0ms
  pk_delay         44us
  av_delay          3us
  sp_delay          1us
  pkts            66849
  bytes        85578787
  way_inds            0
  way_miss           69
  way_cols            0
  drops             361
  marks               0
  ack_drop            0
  sp_flows            1
  bk_flows            2
  un_flows            0
  max_len          1492
  quantum          1373

qdisc mq 0: dev wlan0-1 root
 Sent 33443 bytes 137 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0-1 parent :4 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0-1 parent :3 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 30827 bytes 127 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0-1 parent :2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev wlan0-1 parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 2616 bytes 10 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: dev pppoe-wan root refcnt 2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1518 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 Sent 160346 bytes 1329 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
1 Like

... and you forgot 1)

root@WRT3200ACM:~# echo '[ "$ACTION" = ifdown ] && /etc/init.d/sqm enabled && /usr/lib/sqm/run.sh stop ${DEVICE}' >> 11-sqm
#!/bin/sh

root@WRT3200ACM:~#

@4. it should be ifdown wan ; sleep 30 ; ifup wan right ? instead of ipup wan ??

edit: anyway it still doesn't work, still full speed after wan reconnect... it only works when i disable the SQM instance and enable it again or reboot the router.

@takimata does this work for you ?

Okay, that one's on @moeller0, he forgot the full path :wink:

It should be:

(From the previous incomplete command you now have a pretty, but also pretty useless file "11-sqm" in your /root folder :slight_smile: )

ifup wan alone works, too. The one with ifdown, sleep, and ifup is just a little bit more safe. And, yes, this works for me.

2 Likes

Weird, i really dont know why it doesnt work for me than...
Maybe it's related to the build which i'm using.

So just to confirm, what is the output of

cat /etc/hotplug.d/iface/11-sqm

now?

Oops, yes sorry, I actually copied the exact comman line invocation from my last test, but I did not test on the router and cd'd into the directory containing 11-sqm first. Sorry for that oversight!