[SOLVED] Disk layout on Raspberry Pi4

I put it on an 8gb micro SD card because that's all I had.
I bought a new 32gb one (they don't sell 8gb anymore and 32gb was $1 more than 16gb. :slight_smile:

My current layout is:

# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root               102.4M     23.4M     76.9M  23% /
tmpfs                   460.7M      1.7M    459.0M   0% /tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p1           63.9M     15.7M     48.2M  25% /boot
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

When I dd it to the 32gb, I will also increase the partition sizes.
Should I just increase the / partition?
Is ext4fs less reliable on larger partitions (eg. is a larger partition more likely to get corrupted by a power failure)?
I plan to try to setup NUT for my UPS. :slight_smile:

Increase the size of the / partition if you want the option to install lots of packages.

You might want to use a /var/log partition to track what's up on the system. See if you can get f2fs filesystem for that, constant writes to the same sectors kill flash sd cards and f2fs avoids that. Nilfs2 would also be good but it has some recent crashing bugs. If you choose to use log partition, Make it much bigger than absolutely necessary. Like you might give a gig to log files even though they are only maybe a hundred megs... You'd need a proper log daemon, like rsyslog.

Or just leave the whole thing alone if you don't need anything else... I'd probably expand / to at least a gig of i had 32 gigs. I don't think bigger is riskier.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.