Ok so after some more research and a post in the EE forum it seems like the EE router is definitely to blame. It has "client isolation" enabled by default which cannot be turned off. This means that wireless clients that connect to Router A are "isolated" from the wired side of router A which is where the DHCP server is connected. This also explains why wired devices connected to router A do not have a problem obtaining an IP address as they are not isolated from the rest of the network. Wireless devices are not able to see anything on the wired side including the DHCP resulting in the client not being able to obtain an IP.
As a temporary solution I have disabled wireless on the EE router so all clients are forced to connect via router C which works as intended (despite the reduced coverage). As a permenant solution I have ordered a BT HH5A (same as PN Hub One) to flash with openwrt to replace router A (the EE router is garbage anyway). This will leave me with an entirely openwrt based system which should work much better. Many thanks to all for your help.
Note that for flashing HH5A, you would need TTL. There is some guild about serial connection without soldiering.
If your problem is solved, feel free to mark the relevant post as the solution; and edit the title to add "[SOLVED]" to the beginning (click the pencil behind the topic).
I have a chromecast connected to one of these EE routers. Chromecasts don't work when client isolation is turned on. And it works fine.
Absolutely, I have flashed router C with openwrt previously using an FT23RL adapter so it should be the exact same proccess as the BT HH5A is the same hardware as the plusnet hub one. I used the soldering method before to ensure a solid connection and as I am an electrical engineer my soldering is pretty good.
Thanks again for your help, I have updated the topic as solved. I hope that when I have router A swapped out for an openwrt router (I found a page on the EE website that tells me what my broadband user/pass is) that the network will work as intended.
Cause of the Problem
Router A (the EE router) was isolating wireless clients from the wired network so they couldn't access the DHCP server and failed to obtain an IP address. This "feature" cannot be turned off in the EE firmware.
Disable wireless on the EE router so clients can only associate with Router C and successfuly communicate with the DHCP server.
Replace EE router with an OpenWRT router that does not isolate wireless clients from the wired network.
Great! My soldering is horrible
I think the solution should be for @eduperez.
Sure, I changed the solution to the post by @eduperez
Well, I did not give any solution, just guessed the origen of the problem...
OK, @SparkyDan555, you mark your answer as the solution
For sure. I just like to give credit where credit's due.
This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.