[Solved] Can't start x86 on Netbook

Hi!

I have Samsung NP-N308 netbook, and try to start lede-17.01.4-x86-generic-combined-squashfs.img on it.
Use win32 disk imager, write on USB flash, start from it, and boot hangs on
"random: nonblocking pool is initialized"

LAN card did't work (another PC says "cable not connected"), WiFi did't work...

what am I doing wrong?

Can you hit 'Enter'? That's what it usually takes to bring up the prompt on x86, it seems.

"Nonblocking pool is initialized" is normally the last message during a normal boot. It is waiting for someone to log in.

You probably need to add a keyboard and/or network driver using the Image Builder. The x86 builds include several common network card drivers (but not all of them) but no keyboard. Adding kmod-usb-hid should let you either use the internal keyboard or plug in a USB keyboard and have a terminal session. WiFi also requires drivers and it is disabled by default.

Thank you for information!

Going google "LEDE Image Builder" :wink:

PS. May be somewhere has compiled "LEDE x86 MONSTER Build image"? With all services/drivers enabled?

Why a monster image?

Use the combined-ext4 image, resize it and you have room to install whatever you want and no parts of the system in a readonly squashfs.

So, i got lede-17.01.4-x86-generic-combined-ext4.img, write it to USB drive, resize ext4 partition and work with it? Image has 16Mb + 256Mb partitions. I must resize second ext4 partition?

Another question.
I want use internal wifi adapter and LAN card as local net router, and external USB WiFi dongle as WiFi client to another net (internet). Will it work on LEDE?

OK, i try it.

Keyboard did't work, LAN card did't work :frowning:
Can't configure anything....

So, i got lede-17.01.4-x86-generic-combined-ext4.img, write it to USB drive, resize ext4 partition and work with it? Image has 16Mb + 256Mb partitions. I must resize second ext4 partition?

Yes. I just tried exactly that with my notebook and that generic-combined-ext4 image.

Another question.
I want use internal wifi adapter and LAN card as local net router, and external USB WiFi dongle as WiFi client to another net (internet). Will it work on LEDE?

I don't see reasons against it.

Keyboard did’t work, LAN card did’t work

Here (on a Thinkpad T510) I just had to hit enter to get a prompt.

Maybe someone knowing your notebook can jump in and help? I only have some Thinkpads...

I use USB keyboard, internal keyboard broken. It works in GRUB loader, but did't work in lede (Enter ignored)..

But why LAN Card did't work? "Cable not connected", that's all.. :disappointed_relieved:

Hardware
MB: Samsung N308
CPU: Atom N270
North: Calistoga-GCE (i945GCE)
South: 82801GBM (ICH7-M)
LAN: Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Adapter
WIFI: Qualcomm Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter
WiFi USB: Netgear WNA1100 N150 Wireless USB Adapter (Chipset: Atheros AR9002U WI1 chip1: Atheros AR9271)

PS. My Routerstein ))

Can you boot the USB drive with a different system with non-USB keyboard? Bring it into the net and install the needed parts for the USB keyboard?

Or by booting such an image in a VM?

Or maybe even this is the point to have a look at the imagebuilder. That's no black magic too...

...there still are options left.

Try to boot from it on my notebook - it lost root (booting?) device..

VM.... hmmm...... :wink:

Imagebuilder = black magic, for me. Linux = "Google, how put this s**t work?! Tell me commands!" )))

https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/imagebuilder

I need to reread some hints too because I don't use it every day...

Ok... made an image with:

make image PACKAGES='kmod-ath5k kmod-ath9k-htc ath9k-htc-firmware kmod-sky2 kmod-usb-hid luci-ssl'

Yessssss... kmod-usb-hid did it. I now can use the USB keyboard. I forgot to include the network modules for my box, so I cannot test this image's LuCI now.

Marvell 88E8040 PCIe 10/100 LAN : kmod-skge

AR9271 USB b/g/n : kmod-ath9k-htc, ath9k-htc-firmware (+ dependencies)

AR5007 PCIe b/g: kmod-ath5k

If you can get the LAN working you can ssh in from another machine, configure an Internet connection through your wired LAN, and install other drivers at run time.

1 Like

@mk24 Thanks!

@ARMADA I'll update the packages in the previous message.

Thank you!

installing xubuntu on VM ))

UPD

LAN Card Did't work with it :frowning: ....

You could try kmod-sky2. One search of someone using this card in a desktop Ubuntu said that that was the driver.
Though neither one mentions the 88E8040 specifically.

kmod-sky2
This driver supports Gigabit Ethernet adapters based on the Marvell Yukon 2 chipset: Marvell 88E8021/88E8022/88E8035/88E8036/88E8038/88E8050/88E8052/ 88E8053/88E8055/88E8061/88E8062, SysKonnect SK-9E21D/SK-9S21 There is companion driver for the older Marvell Yukon and Genesis based adapters: skge.

1 Like

Thank you mk24, thank you jeti!
All works! :smiley:

1 Like

The image build line above is updated to sky2.

Party! :fireworks:

Cheers! ))))

now this piece of dirt will work hard! 24/7 ))))

1 Like

Nooooo...

Thanks to LEDE it no longer is dirt and sure will be happy to get some serious things to do!