[Solved] Can't reset TP-Link WDR4300

Hello,

I did a mistake; I wanted to try to put the LAN interface to DHCP client since I have my ISP router that runs a DHCP server.
LEDE never gets an IP and thus I can't access it anymore.

Of course I tried factory reset.
I can SSH into failsafe, but then I can't mount_root or firstboot and so after reboot it's inaccessible again

root@(none):~# mount_root
loading kmods from internal overlay
jffs2 not ready yet, using temporary tmpfs overlay
root@(none):/rom/root# umount /overlay
umount: /overlay: not mounted
root@(none):/rom/root# firstboot
This will erase all settings and remove any installed packages. Are you sure? [N/y]
y
/dev/mtdblock3 is not mounted
/dev/mtdblock3 will be erased on next mount
root@(none):/rom/root# jffs2reset
This will erase all settings and remove any installed packages. Are you sure? [N/y]
y
/dev/mtdblock3 is not mounted
/dev/mtdblock3 will be erased on next mount

Can somebody help me get back my router ?

if you are using a linux PC try (after booting device normally, not failsafe)
$ ip neigh
then compare the MAC to that printed on the device to determine which ipv6 address to use

Then use ipv6 address with ssh.

I've never heard of ip neigh.
I can try with a Linux PC, but can you give me some more details ? Like do I just have to connect the PC to a LAN port, do I have to assign an IP in the PC, etc ?

ip neigh is a program from a newer toolset, similar to arp

There's not much...if you're a :pray: person :prayer_beads: ...hopefully, the device is still seen via IPv6. This has been a failsafe for me before needing to open the case and use a serial connection to the board. @mbo2o then suggested if you can see its address, to use ssh to attempt access.

You may have to configure your device to ignore IPv4 and do link local IPv6; but I would attempt without making changes, first.

You looking for an entry like this on your ip neigh, bolded below:

lleachii@machine:~$ ip neigh
192.168.x.1 dev enp2s0 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx REACHABLE
192.168.x.x dev enp2s0 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx REACHABLE
fe80::218:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx dev enp2s0 lladdr 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx router REACHABLE
2001:470:xxxx:xxxx::1 dev enp2s0 lladdr 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx router REACHABLE

Yes connect the PC to a lan port

1 Like

Something else...if you have another router laying around, plug LAN into the other router's LAN and see if it gets an IP address. If you have a device with "Internet connection sharing" software, you may be able to access it from that machine without a router.

If LuCI is in the firmware, you should also be able to browse to the web GUI.

I finally took some time to try the stuff you suggested.
I also thought again: how is it possible that it doesn't get an IP although it's in DHCP and connected to an ISP box with DHCP server.
So I checked my ISP box and realised that I connected the LEDE router on a WAN port on my ISP box (I didn't now there were WAN ports, so I had connected the LEDE just to any ethernet port on the back).
The moral of this story is that you should never connected cables blindly :smiley:

Thanks to all

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. (Click the pencil behind the topic...)

1 Like

Also for others that have the same issue.
Unrelated to the initial issue, I was able to reset the router after entering failsafe mode by following this comment : Can't factory reset