[SOLVED] Can't connect WRT3200ACM with OpenWRT to TD-W9970 as Bridge

Hello all,

I just installed OpenWRT on my Linksys WRT3200ACM - a very easy process, once I'd read as much as I could find on it! But I'm having problems getting the WAN connection to the TP-Link TD-W9970 working. I'm hoping I've simply entered the wrong information, but I've tried many combinations and I'm just not seeing the answer.

The TD-W9970 is set up in bridge mode and with the Linksys stock firmware the router connects easily - I've been using it like this for about 6 months without any problems at all.

[It seems as a new user I can only insert 1 image, so this one shows the TD-W9970 status at the top and the stock firmware VLAN settings at the bottom. I tried to duplicate these settings in the OpenWRT setup, but without success]

Composite%20Info

So, in OpenWRT on the router I have tried a few settings, but I figured the most sensible one was to create 2 VLANS, 1 for LAN (1), 1 for WAN (35).
LAN is on eth0.1 with eth0 tagged, LAN1-LAN4 untagged
WAN is on eth1.35 with eth1 tagged, WAN untagged

I figured this would match the VLAN in the working stock setup, but it doesn't .
I tried many other combinations with the VLAN settings but no joy in getting a connection. In the log file there's always a "...timed out waiting for PADO response" error.

As far as I can see I used the correct firmware: openwrt-18.06.1-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys-wrt3200acm-squashfs-factory.img
WiFi works fine, connections between devices on the LAN seems to work OK. Just can't get onto the internet/WAN!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

I should have said I setup the WAN connection as PPPoE, with user and pass as before. If I missed anything else out please tell me.

Have you tried WAN tagged and eth1 untagged for Openwrt switch? Restart modem and router before testing.

1 Like

To mimic the configuration on your second picture, WAN should be tagged.

1 Like

Yep, I changed the tagged/untagged and it connected immediately. Thanks for the help!

Now that it works, you can get rid of the tagging in the eth0 and eth1 ports, because you do not need them. Only the WAN port needs to be tagged.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.