[Solved] Bufferbloat Lag Fix

No. Just uncheck Enable this SQM instance.

Click Save and Apply.

Sorry, this was not the intention, I just thought it was the same subject, and I tried to describe my configuration in the best way

Feel free to start your own thread.

From the line stats you have posted, you appear to have a line fault or possibly a faulty hub.

You are only getting 15.7 mbps downstream line sync caused by the excessively large 23dB noise margin.

The noise margin should be much lower.

If you have BT Inifinity 1, then you should be seeing 55 mbps, otherwise 40 mbps downstream line sync for all other UK ISPs based on your line attenuation, for your subscribed 10 mbps upstream line sync.

Try a different router. If there is no improvement, then you need to look at your phone wiring, and perhaps report the fault to your ISP.

Try the router inserted directly into the engineers test socket within the BT master socket to rule out dodgy extension wiring.

Before all that, I'd ensure to try a vectoring capable vdsl firmware first (apparently BT has deployed vectoring in some regions).

Okay, this speedtest at least shows bufferbloat to be under control; even though the detailed view of Downloading still shows a considerable peak at the beginning of the test, but I guess with 30 parallel download streams starting concurrently something needs to give...

BUT getting 12.61 of a configured 10 seems fishy (the expected goodut from setting the shaper to 10 Mbps should be close to 10 * ((1500-8-20-20)/(1500+26)) = 9.51 Mbps, under the assumption that your ISP uses pppoe and a single VLAN tag).

Please note that in networking the SI-prefixes (mega, kilo, and friends) typically are used in the SI meaning, so 1000 bit = 1 Kbit, 1000 Kbit = 1 Mbit, ...
This is different in other fields of computing where the "base" is 2^10 (or 1024).

Best Regards

As stated above, no in networking terms 32 Mbps = 32000 Kbps. So if you want 32768 Kbps enter it into the field but if you want 32Mbps just enter 32000. BUT your VDSL link currently synchronizes at 15.789 Mbps, sqm scriots wil not be able to regain that "lost" bandwidth for you, so setting sqm download bandwidth to anything above 12 Mbps will introduce more bufferbloat, but will not increase your download rates.
You will need to fix this on the VDSL level (if it is fixable at all, but judging from the statistics you posted your line should have enough "reserves" for higher speeds).

LEDE Router Test

BT Stock Firmware test BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 | Last updated 17/07/17

BT Router with stock firmware reboot & retest results

BT Stock Firmware DSL Link Info

DSL Line Speed

I have BT Inifinity 1 connection.

If you put your telephone number into the BT DSL checker

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

it should return an 'estimate' (not 'actual') of the maximum VDSL line speed for your line. I think the estimate will be nearer 60 mbps than 15 mbps which would confirm my suspicions you have a fault.

If you are using microfilters and your property has telephone extensions, then try the hub in the engineer's test socket hidden behind the lower face plate of the BT Master Socket as shown in video below. If there is no improvement, contact BT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IG8rcadbj0

I don't have any telephone outlets with the engineer’s test socket to test the router.

Here is my line test on https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Capture1

The estimates indicate to me your line is supposedly more than capable of full 80/20 service.

Phone BT and report a speed fault. The agent will ask you to test the router at the master socket etc. before escalating it to Openreach as a fault. An engineer will come out and perform a DLM-reset on the line at the FTTC cabinet to see if speeds leap back to the 55/10 mbps without visiting your property.

Note that if Openreach do visit your premises and discover the fault lies with your internal phone wiring, there may be a charge for wasting their time, which is why it is important to test the router in the actual 'test socket' which bypasses all internal wiring.

btw, your speed fault is outside the scope of this forum, so you should really continue any discussion on BT community forum, or direct with BT. I recommend telephoning BT.

I will get in contact with BT. Thanks for the help.

Just an update I got BT to reset my line.

Please can an admin mark this thread as solved. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like