[Solved] Access Smart WiFi devices

Hi there!

I am trying to set up the following network below.

With the help here, I was able to successfully access my OpenWrt router using the WAN IP. With DDNS, I ensure that I will always be able to access it as my IPS changes WAN IP every day.

When I configure port forwarding for my Smart Wifi Devices on my OpenWrt router and check for open ports, getyoursignal tells me it is closed.

Image link: https://ibb.co/9qx8v31

Must I do something on the IPS router for it to work?

Thanks for your help!

You must port forward from the ISP router to the OpenWrt router, and then again from the OpenWrt router to the devices in question. Have you done both of these things? Those devices then must be listening for incoming connections -- if they are off or otherwise not responding, the ports will appear to be closed.

I would, however, suggest that you do not use port forwarding as this exposes devices that are not security hardned to the perils of the internet as a whole (including the admin interfaces of OpenWrt). You should consider the use of a VPN instead... this will allow a secure means of connecting to your network, and from there, you'll be able to access all of your devices. I would suggest Wireguard as it is easy to install and configure, fast/performant, and available on every major operating system (including mobile).

No I have not. How can I port forward from the ISP router when the device is not on the router? Which IP or MAC Address should I enter?

With the use of VPN, will I be able to use my DDNS to call the device?

Port forward from the isp router to the wan address of your openwrt router. That will be an address in the 192.168.100.0/24 network.

Yes. That is the recommended way.

I got this error when trying to install wireguard-tools via ssh.

satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for wireguard-tools: kernel (= 5.4.238-1-9075b32d59737ae13839f94851acafe7) opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package wireguard-tools.

:frowning:

What is the output of

ubus call system board

And did you run opkg update before you attempted the package installation?

Output:
"kernel": "5.4.119", "hostname": "OpenWrt", "system": "MediaTek MT7621 ver:1 eco:3", "model": "Cudy WR2100", "board_name": "cudy,wr2100", "release": { "distribution": "OpenWrt", "version": "21.02-SNAPSHOT", "revision": "r16092-03865de4da", "target": "ramips/mt7621", "description": "OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT r16092-03865de4da"

Yes I did

Upgrade to the latest version. - you are currently using snapshot which explains the error.

You will need to reset to defaults and configure from scratch. Feel free to use a backup as a human readable reference, but don’t restore the backup after the upgrade.

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=23.05.0&target=ramips%2Fmt7621&id=cudy_wr2100

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.