Software space is going to full

I like this idea, too... too bad it's much harder to implement.

With that in mind, I think the latest iteration is good.
here's another idea of how to represent everything... might be slightly less cluttered:

2% used (1.63GiB used of 58.56GiB, 56.94GiB free)
3 Likes

Winner in my books.

Yeah, definitely looks less cluttered:

5 Likes

The word "used" seems redundant - just saying "x of y" is OK, unless that phraseology has different context in other languages.

Some redundancy is not always bad, I like the 2% used

1 Like

I agree with that part, I meant the second "used".

3 Likes

@lleachii - So like this?:

2% used (1.63GiB of 58.56GiB, 56.93GiB free)
4 Likes

I feel that providing all three numbers (used, available, free in MiB) is preferred. Of course, there's an option of doing: 2% used (98MiB of 100MiB free), but I believe there's value in having all three numbers.

Now to the point of getting rid of the second 'used', yes, it may be redundant in English however I'm not 100% confident that just 'x of y' will:

1. be easy to correctly translate without context
  2. will mean as much in other languages

That's why I'm keeping PR as is for now, if there's a much better label later, it can always be updated.

Well, we have to retain a little bit of elitism/obscurity; it is OpenWrt after all. :rofl:

This would be trivial to implement but we can do that after the initial PR if we really want.

1 Like

If the suggestion to add the total space above the bar (Disk Space: 58.56GiB) is implemented, I think at that point it might make sense to adjust what's in the bar to make it cleaner and reduce the redundancy.

So does it actually make sense to try to make the two changes at the same time (either one PR with both changes, or two individual ones that are sync'd)?

@dannil - are you able to actually help with the "Disk Space: <total space>" part of the changes? And if so... @stangri - what are your thoughts about doing one or two coordinated PRs vs one now and one later?

1 Like

Already done my friend, took like 15 minutes. My progress bar is not rebased on any changes of @stangri so it still has the behaviour that I posted early in the thread so if that looks inconsistent just ignore that.

4 Likes

awesome! Sorry if I missed it up-thread.

Thanks to everyone who participated in discussion and provided feedback both here and on GitHub, the update was just merged into OpenWrt luci repo for 23.05 tree: github.com/openwrt/luci/pull/6906

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Echoing the sentiment -- really great discussion! And thank you @stangri and @dannil for the mock-ups and the coding work!

2 Likes

If anyone's interested, here's what I'm currently running on my end (after having time to rebase on the changes by @stangri during this weekend and continuing on my previous post), taking into account the suggestion by @LilRedDog and the decluttering of @psherman, is it something like this you had in mind with the disk space as part of the label?

5 Likes

Everything I can think of is there.

While I do not need '2.42 MiB used', it dose not look superfluous.

1 Like

I think this looks great!

2 Likes

I'll most likely open a PR with these enhancements this week and see what the maintainers' opinion are.

1 Like