Soft Bricked WRT32X

Okay, I was originally having issues with a DD-WRT install on my router. It would drop communications and the only wireless connection that would remain would be the 5G. This caused great turmoil within the home, but the stock firmware was so lacking. So, I bit the bullet and though...I'll just install the sysupdate and go back to stock because we didn't have these issues. Then I seen OpenWRT and slapped myself for not trying out yours. The issue occurred from trying to revert the flash from the admin webpage. As long as this router has been out, you'd think DD-WRT would've made a way to revert. So, I read about the different partitions. Unfortunately, I hosed them both with DD. So, switching from one to another isn't an option.

I had read about the flat firmware but didn't understand exactly what it was and used the sysupgrade (Linksys official firmware) version through SSH. Well...big noob mistake. I can access through serial...but resetting the router throws it in to a boot loop. Only way to recover is unplugging and waiting an hour or two.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have all the software but missing the flat venom.img. Tbh, I'd like to fool around with the OpenWRT flavor.

You need to use TTL UART and TFTP. Also you need to flash a flat image on a partition to allow you to get booted then flash the full stock image after is best too.

I do have the files somewhere on my cloud storage drive should you need it.

Edit: Found the image i used on DD-WRT's site.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=41511

Then simply setup your TFTP server place the downloaded file into the same folder then rename it to venom.img.

If you have done this right running run update_both_images should then flash the image to both partitions.

If you get stuck, i can remote in and help you send the details to my DM's will need access to the folder with TFTP server is located and UART for the WRT32x.

2 Likes

The WRT32X has two firmwares, did you bork both?

2 Likes

Okay, apparently DD-WRT was still resident on the router. I looked for the proper commands and flashed with venom.img.

Commands performed for DD-WRT:

cat /proc/mtd  <---to determine the name of the two partitions

mtd -e linux -r write /tmp/venom.img linux
mtd -e linux2 -r write /tmp/venom.img linux2

This is what I have on putty after having to force a "reboot" from terminal:

BootROM - 1.73
Booting from NAND flash

General initialization - Version: 1.0.0
AVS selection from EFUSE disabled (Skip reading EFUSE values)
mvSysEnvIsFlavourReduced: TWSI Read of 'flavor' failed
Detected Device ID 6820
High speed PHY - Version: 2.0

Init RD NAS topology Serdes Lane 3 is USB3
Serdes Lane 4 is SGMII
board SerDes lanes topology details:
 | Lane # | Speed|    Type     |
 ------------------------------|
 |   0    |  6   |  SATA0      |
 |   1    |  5   |  PCIe0      |
 |   2    |  6   |  SATA1      |
 |   3    |  5   |  USB3 HOST1 |
 |   4    |  5   |  PCIe1      |
 |   5    |  0   |  SGMII2     |
 -------------------------------
:** Link is Gen1, check the EP capability
PCIe, Idx 0: Link upgraded to Gen2 based on client cpabilities
:** Link is Gen1, check the EP capability
PCIe, Idx 1: remains Gen1
High speed PHY - Ended Successfully
DDR3 Training Sequence - Ver TIP-1.46.0
mvSysEnvGetTopologyUpdateInfo: TWSI Read failed
DDR3 Training Sequence - Switching XBAR Window to FastPath Window
DDR3 Training Sequence - Ended Successfully
Not detected suspend to RAM indication
BootROM: Image checksum verification PASSED

U-Boot 2013.01 (May 18 2017 - 16:37:44) Marvell version: 2015_T1.QA.0p16

Boot version : v2.0.9

Board: RD-NAS-88F6820-DDR3
SoC:   MV88F6820 Rev A0
       running 2 CPUs
CPU:   ARM Cortex A9 MPCore (Rev 1) LE
       CPU 0
       CPU    @ 1866 [MHz]
       L2     @ 933 [MHz]
       TClock @ 200 [MHz]
       DDR3    @ 933 [MHz]
       DDR3 32 Bit Width,FastPath Memory Access, DLB Enabled, ECC Disabled
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  256 MiB
MMC:   mv_sdh: 0

It's hung there. I'm half tempted to just let er eat and come back. Power light has been blinking for five minutes. May have to search on DD-WRT's website to find a way to wipe the nvram.

The WRT32X has two firmwares, did you bork both?

@frollic Nope...only found one for my model. V1.0 of all things I have the NON-Xbox style.

Appears uboot is borked, TTL serial for a reload of uboot going to be required me thinks.

1 Like

There's a boot loader recovery in the wiki too.

Hard to know that's what, in the boot process though.

1 Like

That's what I was afraid of. Now I have to read further. I don't seem to be able to find a terminal cursor at any point. Just hangs at MMC: mv_sdh: 0. This is gonna be fun.

Any suggestions or links would be VERY welcome. Been YEARS since I've fooled around with a routers terminal.

bootloader recovery

1 Like

Well, thats the kick in the nuts. If I let it sit unplugged...it'll boot. I'll wait a little longer for the caps to decharge and see if I can find anything else.

links are broken for kwboot and the patched tar ball version. I'll see if I can locate and add back to the thread

If you follow the link from my avatar (or github) into wrtxx00acx/Support you should find files I dropped a long time back.

Edit: McDebian recovery info

3 Likes

Its why I use TFTP to recover my wrt32x

Ya, mtd can go south quickly.

Yep it sure can.

I feel like my brain is fried trying to find the correct uboot file:

./kwboot -t /dev/ttyUSB0 -b WRT1200AC_uboot_v2.0.13.bin -p

WRT1200AC is obviously not the correct one. Lord, I remember the days of, "Don't spoon feed the noobs" and standing behind it. Funny how karma will eventually come back around.

You will have to grab the wrt32x UART file from the OpenWrt wiki page linked above, it is available for download, so:

./kwboot -t /dev/ttyUSB0 -b WRT32X_uboot_2.0.9.bin -p

The only way I was able to flash back stock linksys from ddwrt a few years ago was to flash the converted flat-FW_WRT32X_1.0.180404.58.img that is floating around in the ddwrt forums, solidus1983 posted a link to it above. It is supposedly not the same flat image that's in the official ddwrt download section?

Yeah...I was running into issues with kwboot then after 3 hours found out the one I downloaded from someones google drive was corrupted. This has been an adventure!!!

FINALLY have the system to the Venom prompt after flashing four times. Fingers crossed for some more eff errie.

If you can boot into the admin webpage the flat.img linked above can be loaded via WinSCP no usb ttl cable needed. Second post in the below link on how I remember it working for me.

DD-WRT :: View topic - WRT32X - How to go back to stock firmware?

Welp...tftp wouldn't allow me to load the factory image and you'd have thought I'd have learned my lesson with the bad kwboot file...corrupted nand file too. What ever happened to the days of the hairy dairy maid, true JTAG's and shared files not being corrupted.

99 % [....]
[Type Ctrl-\ + c to quit]
l

U-Boot 2013.01 (May 18 2017 - 16:37:44) Marvell version: 2015_T1.QA.0p16

Boot version : v2.0.9

Board: RD-NAS-88F6820-DDR3
SoC:   MV88F6820 Rev A0
       running 2 CPUs
CPU:   ARM Cortex A9 MPCore (Rev 1) LE
       CPU 0
       CPU    @ 1866 [MHz]
       L2     @ 933 [MHz]
       TClock @ 200 [MHz]
       DDR3    @ 933 [MHz]
       DDR3 32 Bit Width,FastPath Memory Access, DLB Enabled, ECC Disabled
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  256 MiB
MMC:   mv_sdh: 0

I use to get the Venom prompt (NOT MARVELL because that's NOT the CHIPSET of this router). My solution? I'll stick with Asus and drop Linksys like a hot potato. Had I took the newegg reviews to heart, I'd have never purchased this router to begin with. This one will meet it's demise on the battlefield with my AR and frustration. IDK...I may keep it for gits and shiggles. Twenty hours in and no web interface...

@SteveO Wish you would've came around before i started messing with the uboot. Because I DID at one point have the root@DD-WRT prompt...then talked into going down a rabbit hole. Admins...do better....