Snort IDS/IPS with iptables by adding fwsnort?

Hello all,

I've been looking at Snort, and I realized there's no software to block alerts on OpenWRT. I noted that SnortSam requires a second agent to run. fwsnort seems to only require the iptables string match module.

This seems like a good software to add to OpenWRT...any thoughts?

http://cipherdyne.org/fwsnort/

2 Likes

Trying to get into "firewalls". Stumbled upon this when searched snort.
Where would be a good place to start on snort3 on openwrt?
I want to gives it a try, which I understand 3 is the first version to use multi-cores.
Also I was under impression snort is self-sufficient.
It appears it's not if add-ons SnortSam/fwsnort is required.

Lastly, is snort on pfsense any different from snort on openwrt?
I read you @lleachii recommended someone to use pfsense+snort.

Are you able to test and see if it compiles and runs in 18.06.2 and Snapshot?

Per the Package Table, the version in the repository is 2.9.11.1-5.

No, snort only alerts. I've found no way to tell snort to block on OpenWrt. Some other process has to handle firewalling based on those hits/patterns you want to block.

Yes, Snort can block on pfsense. This is why I made a post to ask about adding the capability to OpenWrt. You must be referring to a conversation in another thread about someone who wanted to do the same. Sadly, that OP didn't understand someone had to work on the code to realize this in OpenWrt.

1 Like

I am going to give it a try.
Do you think I can use available openWRT Makefile from version (2.9)?
There are supposed to be drastic changes from 2.9 to 3.0 hence the doubt.

Wait, I can see snort3 here:

Does it mean Snapshot already has snort3?

Update:
So I downloaded snapshot sdk and snort3 source and tried building.
It failed with CMake related errors. Probably the latest sdk hasn't yet added support for this package.

• Can you post the make errors? (Perhaps someone else will see and can assist.)
  • Are you saying that snort3 had the error compiling?
  • Also, do you see in code a way to block directly thru snort?

I have raised a ticket here: https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues
" snort3: fails to build"

Posting error below:

openwrt_sdk/openwrt-sdk-x86-64_gcc-7.4.0_musl.Linux-x86_64/staging_dir/toolchain-x86_64_gcc-7.4.0_musl/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-openwrt-linux-musl/7.4.0/../../../../x86_64-openwrt-linux-musl/bin/ld: cannot find -ltirpc
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[4]: *** [cmTC_b52d1] Error 1
    make[4]: Leaving directory `openwrt-sdk-x86-64_gcc-7.4.0_musl.Linux-x86_64/build_dir/target-x86_64_musl/snort3/snort-3.0.0/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
    make[3]: *** [cmTC_b52d1/fast] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory `openwrt_sdk/openwrt-sdk-x86-64_gcc-7.4.0_musl.Linux-x86_64/build_dir/target-x86_64_musl/snort3/snort-3.0.0/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:2 (project)

Yes. It had error cross compiling for openwrt with x86_64 snapshot sdk. It compiled fine on ubuntu.

No clue on this. I have not gone through the code.

1 Like

@rakesh, thanks for this progress. I definitely appreciate it!!!

any success in compilation and test(s) ?

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Old topic but still a (good) actual question...

1 Like
opkg update
opkg install perl perlbase-socket perlbase-io perlbase-file perlbase-sys perlbase-data perlbase-getopt

Can't locate IPTables/Parse.pm in @INC (you may need to install the IPTables::Parse module) (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.28) at /usr/sbin/fwsnort line 4288.
#installviatar
Can't locate NetAddr/IP.pm in @INC (you may need to install the NetAddr::IP module) (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.28) at /usr/sbin/fwsnort line 4289.
#install-manually
Can't locate AutoLoader.pm in @INC (you may need to install the AutoLoader module) (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.28) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.28/NetAddr/IP/InetBase.pm line 9.
opkg install perlbase-autoloader
Can't locate auto/NetAddr/IP/InetBase/autosplit.ix in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.28) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.28/AutoLoader.pm line 181.

try this maybe:
cpan App::cpanminus
if its not works then try this:
curl -L http://cpanmin.us | perl - App::cpanminus
after this another commands:

cpan IPTables::Parse
cpan NetAddr::IP
cpan AutoLoader
cpan reload cpan

then try again from point you failed.