This is the official smbd
(smbd-server, smbd-utils) support thread. It can be found in snapshots and 19.07 or latest version in my feed.
NOTE: Was named 'Cifsd' before in snapshots, upstream renamed it to 'Smbd' !
smbd-server is a tiny Samba4 alternative, consisting of a kernel module
smbd.ko and a userspace service
The server is smb2/3 compatible and works like a Samba4 drop-in replacement. The
wsdd2 service will be compatible and a similar
luci-app-smbd will be available.
Keep in mind smbd has its own uci config and separate smb.conf paths (/etc/smbd/smb.conf). The actual init/smb.conf and uci config is very similar and should be easy to copy/adapt from samba4.
Check the examples/helps in the
If needed a user database file (/etc/smbd/smbdpwd.db) can be created via installing
smbd-utils (smbuseradd), but is not needed in guest mode.
- tiny size: ~1 MB in snapshot/19.07 incl. deps and ~200kb in my feed (we wait for a glib2 PR)
- lower CPU usage, compared to Samba-4.11
- potentially faster speeds on low end devices
- no VFS modules support (no shadowcopy, macOS Timemachine support)
- not as fully tested as samba4, so bugs/problems may happen (we test since 9 months in snapshots)
- Just a simple fileserver, no AD-DC old netbios or other advanced samba4 options
PS: Smbd and Samba4 can be installed simultaneously, but you need to disable one service, since both can not run at the same time, without using different smb ports aka 445!