Smallest router + 1 wan (1GE) + Internal switch(=>3GE)

Hi

I'm looking for the smallest router possible to use in my home network, the router must be small because it will be placed inside my ATI closet.

My current ISP bandwidth is 400/100 and i'm only going to do routing, nat and switching(vlans), no qos.

Currently i have a Archer C7 with hardware offload that is able to handle the wan load but it doesn't fit inside my ATI closet.

I've done some searches and the best option seems to be the Edgerouter ER-X, another option would be the Mikrotik hEX S( 760iGS) but it seems it's still a wip and doesnt have nat hardware offload.

Does anyone know of another possible option?

Regards.

hi,

gl-inet makes small routers and have a great support forum.
i could not recommend a specific model.

i have their usb150 travel router, but that would not be good for you

1 Like

Hardware wise, the GL.Inet GL-MV1000 "Brume" would probably fit the use case, but it currently isn't supported by OpenWrt (so you'd have to do the porting yourself). A supported (and better-) alternative could be the Solid-Run ClearFog Base A1 (SRM6828S00D01GE008B02CE).

Edit: as long as you don't need much more than 400 MBit/s, the FriendlyElec NanoPi R2S could be a cheap and very small alternative as well.

3 Likes

as far as i know, everything they make uses openwrt as well as the brume.
it runs four different firmware/os.

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mv1000/

1 Like

Their vendor firmware might be based on OpenWrt, but the brume isn't supported by vanilla OpenWrt so far.

i read about that, looks very good, do you have one?
dual-ethernet and 1GB ram

No, I don't have personal experiences with either of the listed devices - but was extrapolating from the information about the used SOCs in there (mvebu can deal with 1 GBit/s WAN speed, the nanopi r2s apparently with around 500 MBit/s - but it's much cheaper). Given that both options raised by the OP didn't have wireless capabilities, I omitted that necessity from the feature set.

i just noticed that the OP wants four gigabit ports

According to the openwrt wiki its seems it's suported since commit , but i didnt find any evidence that this arch/soc supports hardware nat and vlan.

Another issue it's the price, compared with the Edgemax or Mikrotik the GL costs double.

Even better.

yikes, that is expensive

400/100, that does not need to offload nat to hardware.
hard to find a router that does not support vlan. cannot imagine that.

a small 5-port switch is not much larger than a small router.
that FriendlyElec NanoPi R2S has good reviews.
i have plans to buy one someday

gl-inet have their own gui on top of openwrt, which i do not use at all
from that gui, there is a link they call advanced that takes to the standard openwrt luci web interface.
and of course, i just ssh in the the openwrt command line.

imho, i would use the gl-inet support firmware and get great tech support from their forum.
they have a bunch of openwrt experts and very friendly.

Any good: https://openwrt.org/toh/mikrotik/mikrotik_rb750gr3

It has 5GE and I know you are looking for 4GE

is there any point to flash vanila openwrt on GL.Inet GL-MV1000 "Brume" ? Also i cant find any howto how to do that...

Is there a way to ssh to GL.Inet GL-MV1000 "Brume" by default and have a standard openwrt env?

Does GL.Inet GL-MV1000 "Brume" support HW offload?

Thanks!

any udate here? also i was told that APU 4d4 might be a better choice then Brume.

Well they are a boring and cheap solution for your use case: Linksys EA4500 , $20. I've purchased several, none run hot. If you have a space consideration, take it out of the case, cut the antennae off & mount safely on bushings in your lan box. I've done this. Until openwrt 20 or 21 come along you could use the Linksys ea3500, smaller form factor, runs cool, $10, but only 64mb memory. Both are hardware overclockable for increased throughput, and reduced latency. EA6350v3 if you want unnecessary but increased horsepower, hard to find good one on ebay $40.