Sky Q wireless client

I have a problem with our Sky Q box (we don't have Sky broadband) losing its connection to my R7800. Apparently it has two MAC addresses, a 'real' one corresponding to the 2.4G interface and a 'virtual' one that it shares across all the wireless interfaces? When it first connects I can see both MAC addresses, the 'real' one never gets an IP address, only the virtual one does and that appears to be the one with the actual connection.

After the Sky Q box goes into standby the virtual one disappears, but the 'real' one stays present, and when the Sky Q box is turned on again it no longer has connectivity, and the 'virtual' address never reappears. Any one have any idea what is going on, or how to fix it?

That's mostly a question for Sky.

You may, however, try connecting the box to the router with a cable and see if that will solve the prolems.

Which OpenWrt version are you using on your R7800?

i am running master. however, the problem seems to have fixed itself for now.

hum nope, disconnected again :(.

Hello! Sorry to revive an old thread but I am having a very similar issue with a Sky Q box connecting to a WRT3200ACM. It presents two MAC addresses to the router - first, the apparent 'real' address of the 2.4G radio in the client (as confirmed in the Sky diagnostic menus), then a second address.

Both MAC addresses show an association and handshake in the logs, but only the second address gets an IP address or shows any throughput on the status screen. The other one stays connected but at "-1 Mbps". This is a reported behaviour of the Sky box on other forums, but it seems some APs are more/less tolerant of it than others.

The client works perfectly for the first 5 minutes (300 seconds) on default settings but the first MAC address will consistently get deauthed by the the router as it appears to have no activity - but I believe this MAC represents the true physical station, and correspondingly the client loses all connectivity at the moment this happens. I have managed to increase the timeout by increasing the AP_MAX_INACTIVITY setting (default 300) but this only works for approx. 36 hours (even if set to a crazy value like a year).

My current sticking plaster is to simply schedule a "wifi up" every morning at 4am, which seems to restart the clock, but I would like to not disturb other clients. I initially tried doing a "del_client" via ubus, kicking both MAC addresses off, but even with a long ban set the real MAC tries to associate immediately and gets confused, never regaining connectivity.

I am wondering if anyone else has encountered the same, or perhaps if there is a known version of wpad/hostapd available that allows infinite value to be set for the station inactivity limit? I have lost any hope of Sky explaining the strange behaviour of their client. Interestingly this issue doesn't appear to be WRT specific - as it also occurs on another ISP supplied (non-WRT) router, but works fine on a Raspi 3B running OpenWRT.

Thanks

Edit: for info I am running the davidc502 r12833 snapshot, but have replicated on the latest stable 19.07 as well.

Press Home on your Sky remote, scroll down to Settings and enter 0 0 1 Select on the remote.

If you go into the network settings on this hidden menu and disable 5GHz WiFi - do you have a better experience with it?

Sky's devices connect to each other with this separate 5Ghz network built into them and for some reason act weird when connecting to third-party networks. It's been a while since I've used Sky Q but if my memory serves me it may resolve your issue, despite being stuck on legacy WiFi. Other option is to connect directly by ethernet if an option and disabling WiFi in the same menu.

I'm not sure exactly what that second network does but it's a strange, proprietary mesh system they've got going that doesn't seem to play nice with non-Sky networks for some reason. If you have Sky broadband it all works perfectly and performs much better than any other router even if the router you have is technically better.

i gave up and connected via wired to an access point.

2 Likes

Hi TTTJJJ,

The Sky box doesn't seem to use 5GHz at all when connecting to third-party routers, and I have set up a dedicated SSID for it on 2.4G only. I have disabled 5GHz on the box anyways out of thoroughness, but it doesn't make any difference and I could never see it trying to associate on 5GHz on the original dual band-SSID.

I agree the easy way out is to connect by ethernet (I'm using powerline for now), it has just piqued my curiosity that it seems to work fine on some combinations of router OS & wireless chipset, but not others. Every single device in the house plays nicely except the Sky box.

Ironically I have ditched the Sky router because it is quite locked-down, and the wireless performance somewhat mediocre as I don't have any of the Q Mini boxes to create the mesh. I've had great results so far with the WRT3200ACM and an old machine in the garage acting as a remote access point/bridge, with 802.11r working very nicely.

So much for the nostalgia of the old blue WRT boxes :smile:

Thanks anyways

That was my solution in the end too. I have the Q mini boxes as well. No matter what third party router I used it would never just work as it was supposed to. For some reason the Q router worked fine but as you said it’s very locked down and mediocre.

In the end I switched to Ethernet and for the most part had little issue after that.

1 Like

I disable the Sky Q tv box wifi. I don't want them taking up the only 80MHz non DFS channel.

I then use a GL.iNet AR750S running stock OpenWrt - the 2.4GHz radio is connected is my WiFi as a normal DHCP client so I can connect to the device to manage it. The 5GHz radio is connected to my WiFi - unmanaged. I then wire the Sky Q mini box to the AR750S and use kmod-trelay to mirror the packets. Effectively a wired to wireless bridge. Works well.