Sky and DHCP 60/61

hey guys

im new to all this. so please be very basic in replying.

i have just in installed openWRT on my netgear DM200 and i am trying to find where i can put my login details from the Sky router. Previous to installing i had it all working on the original netgear software. as i need Option 60/61 Can someone please help?

Login details belong to the properties of your wan interface.
Option 60 / 61 are unique identifiers and I would try to see if "Host-Uniq tag content" works for you (also under "properties" for you pppoe / wan)

While for a slightly different device, the BT Home Hub 5 Type A installation guide at https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=266 contains hints for many UK ISPs.

Hi Aboabiot

unfortunately the PPPoE doesn't work for me as is a MER connection. the standard firmware i put my SKY ID for this in the option 61 box and it works. just can not find that page on the new open wrt firmware i have installed.

@johnboy menu "Network", "Interfaces", "wan" (this is where the HostID is)
I've done some digging about MER, but I wouldn't know how to set it up, sorry.

See if this site helps...

i saw that website and tried it but couldn't connect to the internet at all. and thankyou.

1 Like

Are you a Sky Fibre (VDSL) or ADSL customer.

If fibre, then I posted the relevant sections from my /etc/config/network (not the whole file) here:- https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1092

Sky no longer validate the clientid, so it is no longer necessary to extract the vdsl username & password from your sky router, just use a random value in clientid

If ADSL, then you can use normal PPPoA instead of mer and the generic username 'install@o2broadband.co.uk' password 'password' should also still work.

1 Like

im on Sky Fibre 80 down and 20 up. and thankyou for the help where and how do i put this code in?

CODE: SELECT ALL

config dsl 'dsl'
        option annex 'b'
        option tone 'a'
        option xfer_mode 'ptm'
        option line_mode 'vdsl'

config interface 'wan'
        option ifname 'dsl0.101'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        option clientid 'aaabbbcccc5533322'
        option macaddr 'AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF'  # optional, replace with your sky routers wan mac if included

config device 'wan_dev'
        option name 'dsl0'

config interface 'wan6'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'
        option reqaddress 'try'
        option reqprefix 'auto'
        option ifname 'dsl0.101'
        option delegate '1'

Use a ssh client, I used Putty.

and edit the /etc/config/network file using openwrt's built in editor vi ( vi /etc/config/network ), or install the more user friendly nano.

You'd need to look up the vi editing commands if you are not familiar.

The PDF guide on that site probably has instructions for making the changes via the UI if you prefer.

thank you for that ill give a give tonight and let you know how i've got on.

Option not found when I paste all your code in putty

You would need to log in to your router in putty and enter "vi /etc/config/network" to open the config file in the vi editor, then find and manually edit the relevant settings. DON'T COPY AND PASTE. If you mess up the wrong setting you'd need to reset openwrt to its defaults.

Guide to using vi editor:- https://www.guru99.com/the-vi-editor.html

However, I suggest downloading Bill's pretty comprehensive OpenWrt-LEDE Install guide for the bt hub 5, link below, skip the BT hub related stuff and go to its page 37 where it does cover setting up Sky from the user interface, although unfortunately doesn't cover setting up working ipv6, so you'll have to figure that out later.

Ignore the vendorid setting as it is not required (don't think cloning the mac is either), and clientid can be set to anything as it is not validated by sky anymore.

1 Like

thankyou so much ill will try again when i get in.
was just typing in config in putty and paste your code in with my credentials but didn't work.

We have internet!!!!!! Thankyou so much for your help!!!

Did you follow that guide? Was there anything else that it is worth knowing and which is not written there?

For me what i did is download wireshark and install.
run wireshark and turn off the sky router and boot back up and you should see the sky Credentials with some searching. Write this password down and save it as you need use it to produce HEX Key found here http://string-functions.com/string-hex.aspx once that is done. copy that and save it.

on my DM200 with open-wrt installed

Log on to the web interface (default ip 192.168.1.1), you may be asked to set a password

Navigate to the "network" tab

Click on the edit button for the wan connection

2.4) Make sure the protocol is set to DHCP Client (click Save and Apply if any changes are made)

Navigate to the "Advanced Options" tab

Add the final key you generated into the Client ID field Thats the HEX Key

Add 6.14.1aN_UNI|PCBAFAST2504Nv1.0 to the Vendor Class field

Click "Save and Apply"

On the WAN Page go to physical setting and add this in the interface drop down box "dsl0.101" save and apply

and all done i had internet.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.