Single Ethernet Port Device, Plus Ethernet Unmanaged Switch

there is a lot of really strange (and wrong) stuff in these config files. Where did they come from? Did you edit them?

1 Like

I would not recommend use Zuxel switch like only one while make such settings
Why don't you use luci, luci is easiest and faster interface for config like this

1 Like

No you asked for what was in the files now. This was an already configured setup.

Why not? An x86 system usually has the ability to connect a display and keyboard, so even if the network is misonfigured, access should still be possible. And aside from one potential setting, I don't see any issue with the zyxel switch.

1 Like

If you know exactly what to do yes, otherwise no

1 Like

I'm really confused. I thought you were starting fresh.

1 Like

No, but I know enough to edit and make the appropriate changes if i can just figure out how to list the ports for the switch.

I have an idea, you connect to my desctop, and I start gns3 and we can all check before applaing, so u can see what to do and I can remember how to make it

1 Like

Well, there are a lot of things there that probably should be revisited... but the VLANs are really simple.

change the ports here to eth0.10

and change this one to eth0.20 (eth1, I assume, is the USB adapter).

1 Like

so something basic like this.

config device
        option name 'br-lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option rpfilter 'loose'
        option acceptlocal '1'
        option stp '1'
        option igmp_snooping '1'
        option promisc '1'
        list ports 'eth0.10'

config interface 'lan'
        option proto 'static'
        option device 'br-lan'
        option ip6ifaceid '::bad'
        list ipaddr '192.168.1.1/24'
        option ip6assign '64'
        option ip6hint '0'
        option ip6class 'local'

config interface 'modem'
        option proto 'static'
        option device '@wan'
        option ipaddr '192.168.100.2'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option delegate '0'

config interface 'wan'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        option device 'eth0.20'
        option broadcast '1'
        option delegate '0'
        option hostname '*'

config interface 'wan6'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'
        option device 'eth0.20'
        option reqaddress 'try'
        option sourcefilter '0'
        option reqprefix '60'

config route6
        option source '::'
        option target '::/0'
        option interface 'wan6'

yup... give that a shot.

1 Like

OK if you don't want to, fine, I will make it rn and send you config
I am gonna virtualize openwrt 22 with single port, and need adresses which u want like LAN Wan and proto

1 Like

do you mind glancing over the settings here and telling me if it looks like i might need to adjust something

For example, I didnt know whether I should enable VLAN trunk for anything,

https://forum.openwrt.org/uploads/default/original/3X/f/e/fe94cbdfab37e9cb25c2c6f8a6339ada9785d48f.jpeg

The only thing that might be wrong with the switch is that you might need to set port 3 as a trunk (in some switches, it is implicit, but there seems to be an option to set it explicitly in that one).

Otherwise, the switch config looks fine based on what I can see.

The OpenWrt config, OTOH, has a lot of things that are either wrong or should only be used if you have a specific reason to.... and there is a lot there to review. I noticed that the DHCP server is setup incorrectly, among other things. But for all the unusual settings that I see, maybe you have them there for a reason.

1 Like

would you say port 3 explicitely or 3 -24 as trunk.

u need 1 trank port and 1 port for wan untaged vlan and others for lan vlan untag

1 Like

port 3 is clearly the one that should be the trunk.... I don't think you want any other ports trunked in this context.

first and last usually reserved for tranks

1 Like

You mean like port 1 and port 24? That's not necessarily true. I mean, sure, can be a good option, especially if one of those ports is used for connection to the router and the other for linking to another downstream switch, but is not a rule of thumb or standard practice... any ports can be used for any purpose, so it really comes down to what is connected to each port.

1 Like

Looks like i am off to test things out.