Single AP - single client with dual band steering - usteer or DAWN or custom?

Thank you for topic Feature comparison of DAWN and Usteer . I have only one dual-band OpenWRT AP and one dual-band client in a point-to-point configuration with a steady stream of data (IP camera). Please is either DAWN or usteer suitable for picking a least congested channel in AP and client locations at startup, and being able to dynamically change the channel or even push the client to the other band if the current channel gets bad? The environment around changes dynamically. Ideally with minimum interruption to the client, at best without TCP connection breaks (when staying in the same band).

Both AP (TP Link EAP225) and client (android 11 tablet) are fairly new HW and support the latest 802.11 protocols (r, k, v).

Thank you very much for any hints and suggestions.

Pavel.

It's a bit late... but anyhow:
802.11r is for a simpler handshake when roaming between diffrerent APs (fast transition)
802.11k is to collect a list of SSIDs/channels. This accelerates roaming because the mobile device would not have to try foreign APs.
802.11v is to exchange information about network topology used for roaming.

In essence: none of these would be needed for a single device connecting to a single router (AP).
Correction: it might be possible that DAWN could "roam" from 5GHz to 2.4GHz and back...

Your problem is covered by selecting
Menu "Network" / "interfaces", there edit the corresponging Wifi: Sevice configuration / general setup /
operating frequency /channel : auto

1 Like

Thanks a lot, it's never late :slight_smile:

My layman idea was like this: The AP keeps monitoring channels, and regularly asks the client to send channels report from its location. If on any side the currently used channel becomes suboptimal (which can happen at any time, on each side independently), the AP tells the client to change to the new channel and subsequently changes to that channel itself. Ideally using both 2.4 and 5GHz bands to increase the chances of finding a good channel.

I thought that the request for client channels report and ordering the client to switch to the new channel could be provided by the 802.11 protocols.

But I am a noob in wifi details. I do very much appreciate your kind patience and help. Thanks a lot.

Pavel