SIM8200EA_M2 being natively supported

I've been using it for a while and it works. Here's a relevant Github page.

How can I get this properly baked into OpenWRT? Currently I'm copying supplied files and building the images as per the Github page.

1 Like

I think there is an alternative option available right now:

  • switching the modem to MBIM
  • adding it to option driver using new_id

Thanks for sharing the link!

Can you elaborate on this? Perhaps a link? I'm unfamiliar with this.

What exactly needs to be clarified?
Please show the output of cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices

"switching the modem to MBIM"
"adding it to option driver using new_id"

I don't know about the above things.

I edit the kernel config file and replace the qmi_wwan.c file and then use modem manager and it "just works."

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices

T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=480  MxCh= 1
B:  Alloc=  0/800 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0002 Rev= 6.01
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 6.1.38 xhci-hcd
S:  Product=xHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=0000:01:00.0
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=  0mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   4 Ivl=256ms

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=480  MxCh= 4
D:  Ver= 2.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=2109 ProdID=3431 Rev= 4.21
S:  Product=USB2.0 Hub
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=100mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   1 Ivl=256ms

T:  Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  3 Spd=480  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1e0e ProdID=9001 Rev= 4.14
S:  Manufacturer=QCOM
S:  Product=SDXPRAIRIE-MTP _SN:08AA0034
S:  SerialNumber=0123456789ABCDEF
C:* #Ifs= 6 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=500mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=30 Driver=option
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=60 Driver=option
E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  10 Ivl=32ms
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
I:* If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=40 Driver=option
E:  Ad=85(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  10 Ivl=32ms
E:  Ad=84(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
I:* If#= 3 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=40 Driver=option
E:  Ad=87(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  10 Ivl=32ms
E:  Ad=86(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
I:* If#= 4 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=40 Driver=option
E:  Ad=89(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  10 Ivl=32ms
E:  Ad=88(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
I:* If#= 5 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=50 Driver=qmi_wwan
E:  Ad=8a(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=32ms
E:  Ad=8e(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=0f(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

T:  Bus=02 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=5000 MxCh= 4
B:  Alloc=  0/800 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
D:  Ver= 3.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=03 MxPS= 9 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0003 Rev= 6.01
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 6.1.38 xhci-hcd
S:  Product=xHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=0000:01:00.0
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=  0mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   4 Ivl=256ms

I took a quick look at the hack from SIMCom and I don't think there is anything of actual value in there.

This modem should work fine with the mainline qmi_wwan driver after commit 102cd9096356 ("qmi_wwan: apply SET_DTR quirk to the SIMCOM shared device ID"), which was added in Linux v4.18.

2 Likes

Sorry for possible confusion, but I missed these IDs the first time I checked the driver sources.
1e0e:9001 is present in both option and qmi_wwan and there is no need to add them manually via new_id. If there is a desire to use it in MBIM mode that could be achieved by sending AT+CUSBCFG=USBID,1E0E,9003 to /dev/ttyUSB2

Had some weird issues with "silent" disk corruption expanding the default image size (USB SSD) I'm assuming which was driving me insane. Finally wrote it to a SD card and it worked. Left the default size on the SSD and it's working right now without any hacky patches.

Thanks a ton :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.