Shutting down Router with the power button: is it safe?

As the title states, I need to shut down a router running openwrt, probably on a daily basis. Is it safe for the OS or do I need an alternative way?

Generally, yes. Openwrt only writes to storage, by default, when you are changing the configuration. Typically, the only risk for file system damage is when it is writing. However, if you have changed things so that other data is written to storage, your mileage may vary.

But we don’t know what hardware you’re using, nor do we know why you need to shut down the system.

3 Likes

Currently I'm on a Zyxel EX5601-T0 and things are quite basic. There are no planned writes, apart from the logs, I guess. I need to shut down that system because at night its electrical outlet doesn't work.

Did you change the log location? If not, it will write to ram, which does not pose any issues upon shutdown.

Not really, but I started from a prebuilt bin. Is there to make sure that I'm not logging to files?

If you’re using an official openwrt firmware, and have not modified the default log location, it should be fine. You can check in /etc/config/system

2 Likes

Just checked but I don't see anything related to custom log locations:

config system
	option hostname 'OpenWrt'
	option ttylogin '0'
	option log_size '64'
	option urandom_seed '0'
	option zonename 'Europe/Rome'
	option log_proto 'udp'
	option conloglevel '8'
	option cronloglevel '5'
	option timezone 'CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3'

...I think it defaults to RAM.

Yup. It’s fine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.