Should i run wrt3200acm or the r7800

Both devices are running hot (and its 802.11ax successors often come with active cooling), I wouldn't expect much of a difference here (the delta between individual specimens is likely higher, than between the different model ranges).

but from my understanding you can have CPU frequency scaling with hnymans build on the r7800 and therefore keeping it cooler

or just wait and se what my usb fan´s will do that i ordered :wink:

how hot are the wrt3200 running for you guys?

yes.

no.

ok, i know words are expensive but comeon, please elaborate :wink:

i just installed my r7800 which i have in the main house where it is ¨23c and it reports around 45c
the wrt3200 where it is ~11c it reports ~65c
so the fact that r7800 have cpu scaling does not have anything to do with the fact that it runs way cooler?

the wrt3200 would be arund 85-90c in the summer, i can hardly think that´s acceptable (at idle)

My WRT32X (same internal hardware as WRT3200ACM) has no cooling issues and as I listed above I'm basically running everything from it that would keep the CPU busy, SQM cake at 500Mbits, NAS, Adblock, irqbalance (if it works on mvebu that's debatable), etc. and currently running with 4-5 months uptime. Rock solid fast and stable. I don't know the temps specifically but there are no temp issues. Can't wait for a nice 21.02 upgrade though, hopefully it's done soon.

I should note that CPU frequency scaling works with mvebu too. Several users have compiled and run it, maybe it could save <1W power not even sure it does that without voltage scaling too. Again, there are no thermal issues with my WRT32X under reasonably heavy loads.

Summary

CPU frequency scaling driver for mvebu (WRT3200ACM etc.)

EDIT: Hadn't checked that thread in a while, it looks like CPU scaling was added to for mvebu (WRT routers) in November which means it should be included in OpenWrt 21.02. Looks like hynman noticed it even lowers temps by 2 degrees avg. Hopefully it doesn't add any latency like it did for the R7800 initially.

seems like at best it makes 2c difference

i found this tmp421-i2c-0-4c to add in collectd thermal and that output says around ~45c wich of course is no problem (lets hope that one is correct :wink:

i tried the r7800 and it cant handle my 300/300 with sqm cake whilst the 3200 do it with ease..so i´l keep running the´ol 3200 instead of the r7800

1 Like

Yea actually re-reading that post I cannot tell if hnyman kept it on his private builds or it was merged. Either way I know several users are running the patch on 5.4 with mvebu and it works, but don't know how well. The R7800 had some latency problems when it was merged there, so I'd use with caution or do testing to see how it runs.

That doesn't sound right I remember a changelog from Kong noting 600mbits with shaping (maybe using the NSS cores not sure): https://www.desipro.de/openwrt/Changelog

Anyway yea, WRT3200ACM or WRT32X will do 500+ Mbits no problem with SQM cake.

Not to my knowledge. I have been using it in my own WRT3200ACM builds since early 2017 without problems, but I have not tried to get it merged, as the upstream discussions indicated that there might possibly be some problems with some CPU variants. The upstream discussions in 2015(?) never got finalized.

i have both router idling at the same place now (~11c) r7800 is around 39c and the wrt3200 is around ~65(active router but not doing much atm 0.00, 0.00, 0.01)
the 65c is cpu from what i gathered after som googling, the rest is wifi/ddr

how is it possible that it differs ~25c?

EDIT: it is what it is, found lots of threads on dd-wrt forum and generally consensus is, leave it or fan it :wink:

EDIT2: found a usb fan when digging around in the garage, found a pretty small usb fan, 40mm if i where to guess, just that fan lowered cpu temp with roughly ~17c, 48c now

after i added fan i stresstested a bit, last bit on the screenshot is idle (fairly) and the 65 was also idle before adding fan

swapped back to the r7800 running ACwifidude´s nss build, it works really well with my 300/300, iptv dont lag even if i download in "full speed"

1 Like

Should be able to do your 300/300 speed with no problem.

Let me know how it compares to the wrt3200. :sunglasses:

the wrt3200 has more "horsepower" without a doubt, the r7800 couldn't run more then ~200Mb/sec with cake running whereas wrt3200 could do ~300Mb/sec with layercake and still have plenty of cpu cycles left for other stuff running.

but with the aswifidude (nss) build the r7800 also easily can handla my bandwidht

fun boxes,,why havent i played with them for years ;)?

or should i run the hp t730(x86) i just got going
the family is getting cinda tired of me switching active firewall :slight_smile:

are there any difference in how things work with say the wrt3200 or a hp 730 with the x86 build 19.07.7 ?

should i run the 21.02 version instead?

Hostname OpenWrt
Model HP HP t730 Thin Client
Architecture AMD RX-427BB with AMD Radeon(tm) R7 Graphics
Firmware Version OpenWrt 19.07.7 r11306-c4a6851c72 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-21.086.32701-7456e2a

EDIT: 300Mb/sec layercake

0[*******                                                                                                           5.3%]   Tasks: 25, 9 thr; 1 running
1[******************                                                                                               14.6%]   Load average: 0.06 0.08 0.03 
2[****************                                                                                                 13.2%]   Uptime: 01:00:11
3[**********************                                                                                           17.9%]

Mem[|#* 101M/14.6G]
Swp[ 0K/0K]

The x86 offers the best performance. With the 4 core processor in that thin client you could run circles around the other two devices. With 300/300 internet any of the three devices will work.

I’d run the newer 21.02. Two additional years of development is a huge leap forward.

1 Like

tru dat, just reinstalled 21.02 on the t730 even though the wrt3200 was also sufficient

are there any downsides to running x86 in terms of function/upgrades etc etc?

x86 is the ultimate solution for speed. Only downsides are lack of ports and maybe energy costs (this is minuscule).

That thin client is probably capable of gig SQM speeds.

1 Like

What image are you using now? The latest Davidc502 which worked for you or something else?

i have tried most of the ones that are available for the r7800 or wrt3200
davids was a really nice on, last i tested was stock 21.02 and build it up to where i wanted it (firewall rules/portforward,dyndns,scripts,vlan etc etc) but i got some wierd disconnects with all interfaces just going "down" (4times in 24h), nothing wrong on my vlan switch atleast according to the logs.

basically lost motivation there and just started my qotom box with opnsense installed on it.

so to answer your question i´m not running any openwrt atm.

/regards t