Share USB 3G Modem Internet through WiFi

I have USB 3G modem that I successfully installed.

config interface 'lte'
        option proto '3g'
        option service 'umts'
        option dialnumber '*99#'
        option ipv6 'auto'
        option apn 'internet.t-mobile.at'
        option device '/dev/ttyUSB2'

What I want is to share the internet through the WiFi. I tried a lot of configurations but never managed to make the connected devices to get an IP. I deleted all experiments so all settings except the modem are default.

This is the default if you put the lte interface into the wan firewall zone.

Wait, your devices connected via WiFi do not receive an IP address from OpenWrt? They should receive one in any case from the 192.168.1.x pool - that is the default behavior.

Please connect to your OpenWrt device using ssh and copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

ubus call system board
cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless
cat /etc/config/dhcp
cat /etc/config/firewall
1 Like

Nice! Adding the interface to the zone did the job. The IPs are also working, maybe I messed up something here at the beginning.

My initial idea was to have the LTE as backup to the eth0 (where the main internet will go in) device. Maybe I have to remove the br-lan and create new interface (static) with device eth0 and add it to the firewall and wifi, but will then the clients use the same dhcp server or I need to setup new one ?

You will want to have a look at mwan3 for automatic LTE failover - it's working fine for me.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.