Setup house 802.11r RE305/RE200

Depends on if they received it, 5.4 GHz suffers attenuation thru normal housing materials.

It switched to a non-DFS channel so you replaced it. Wow...I'm starting to think you're joking here.

Wow. You're correct. Maybe 2.4 GHz rules are more preferable to your use case?

Tp-link replaced it

2.4GHz is very slow and full of other router and access points

That wasn't my question:

• Does ofcom allow your outdoor setup on 2.4 GHz (I'm guessing they do and you won't tell us because you prefer 5.4 GHz yet you know there's no legal channel to use)?
  • (If ofcom does allow this on 2.4 GHz, that's probably why the band is congested)

I assume this means you did an RMA with TP-Link because it was "broken"?

Put very simply, in the UK 5GHz WLAN/WiFi has the following controls:

• Channels 32-48 are for where the access points are inside a building. Obviously, unless you're in a Faraday Cage, some will traverse the walls but that's not a problem. TPC (transmission power control) must be enabled, which allows the AP to back off and/or throttle up as required,
  • Channels 52-88 are also for where the access points are inside a building. TPC must be enabled. DFS must be enabled.
  • Channels 96-144 must use TPC and DFS but do not specify the indoor/outdoor limitation.
  • Channels 149-173 are for SRD use only (short range devices), or for outdoor use in e.g. point-to-point links.

DFS is used heavily in the UK because we have such a densely populated country with a lot of airports, aircraft and weather radar that take precedence over consumer or business radio communications. I live near East Midlands Airport and at work we had quite the challenge with our early 5GHz rollout (to 2500+ APs) where DFS channels were being used, because we have a lot of aircraft on approach close enough to force DFS to start backing off and hunting.

My advice would be to stick down in the 32-48 range and get things working, and only then maybe try to use the higher channels. As long as you don't have a neighbour using something with multi-thousand mW eirp against your external wall I don't see that you'll have much of a problem.

1 Like

FYI - This seems to be outdated.
I am pretty sure it was in 2021 that Ofcom changed the regulations for band C to:

1. Licence free, DFS free, use up to 200mW
  2. Licenced point to point and point to multipoint use up to 4000mW for outdoor use with shaded antennas to prevent satellite interference.(licence available to everyone for registered compliant equipment at £50GBP per 50 devices)

There was an update to OpenWrt shortly after that time enabling such use.

Really?

Lots of people have offered advice, but you change the problem into something else as a response to every reply...... Very strange.

1 Like

they replaced the RE200 with another RE200 because I would need to pay shipping for the RE305, then when I said its the same they got mad at me, so because of that the RMA gave me a good will of the RE305 with the beta firmware

Wow really, your close to me then, thank you for the explanation, its good to have someone else from the same country and area
I am around 10 miles from East Midlands Airport
we also get aircraft approach for everything from the west

so I am allowed yo use band A then, don't remember seeing a setting for TPC anywhere
are device allowed to connect to it from outdoors?
if so I will use channel 44, as it always seems free

seems to not be as much as an issue as I thought

I do seem to have the information I need now
@greem as gave me some good advice

Again....

Wait - you clearly stated:

never had any problems with stock on DFS

But also stated:

Mmmmm...

1 Like

maybe it was a real DFS radar issue then

I though the airplanes would be far enough away not to cause an issue, there still quite high in the sky but they are getting ready for landing

I did look into it a lot and the RE200 was the only devices that did the DFS change, but will I went from the beta on the RE305 to latest, I got my issue back

as long as it is legal for the AP to be inside and to be used inside and outside, I will use channel 44

I am back running openwrt
I understand using relayd will have some speed drop, but its inconsistent 110Mbps one minute then 20 Mbps the next

and also is TPC automatic or an option I need to turn on

There is no user controllable setting needed for this to work (same as DFS).

To be clear, I wasn't ignoring you. I've been busy this week, and even though I still spent time on the forum, this particular thread fell below the radar (pun intended :rofl:!!). In all seriousness, I am sorry that I didn't get back to this thread.

However, I think you've gotten a lot of answers here regarding DFS channels and radar. And given your proximity to the airport, it seems very highly likely that what you dismissed as buggy operation or 'false radar' hits were real events and the devices were responding properly per the regulations.

Coming back to this:

First, based on the DFS related discussion, it is highly unlikely that there is anything wrong with your factory data (ART) partition. But, I want to reiterate what I said here... OpenWrt doesn't touch the factory calibration data, and I cannot answer what specific option on your device's boot-loader (if any) might put that data at risk. However, there are times that people erase the entire flash chip and/or overwrite the data using mtdwrite or other similar commands. Thus the reason that I posed this as a possibility -- if a person issues low-level commands, anything is possible. But I don't think this an issue here.

1 Like

all I need to know now is can improve the inconsistent speed drop

and double check for channel 44 is allowed for devices outside with the AP inside
it sounded like that would be alright in the post from @greem

So we're back to the same issue, albeit this time we agree you do live near an airport. Did you ever try the list of things above before you switched back to OEM - when you told us about this speed drop before?

Let us know the results, no need to change into another issue. This is why I asked about 2.4 GHz, but you seem to want to work around 5.4 GHz rules protecting the airplanes flying overhead. I would think you'd set it up and test, so at least you can see it operational and then stop blaming OEM, OpenWrt or ofcom rules.

1 Like

I did forget to mention I am on channel 44 for now, I will not be using WiFi outside until confirmed

the OEM speed drop was the powerline adapter not plugged directly into the wall

if it was consistent at 110Mbps I wouldn't mind

I did not think they would be close enough to be an issue
there around 7,000 FT still

:rofl: A common misconception. See an interesting discussion on how many miles DFS must protect:

can you help me get more consistent speed, that is my only issue now, I am not using DFS anymore and will not again now I know this

I thought you fixed it. Again, this is needed to help you:

I would advise you provide the information we need to help. Switching the topic back and forth to DFS seems to confuse you a bit.

the link are from when I had already gone back to stock
the RE450 that the RE305 is connected to has been fine since

I am not confused, you seem to be ignoring my speed issue for DFS
we are done with DFS now, just the speed issue now

I want it connected over wireless as it can reach up to 110Mbps, where the powerline was doing around 30Mbps
it also means less ethernet cables

To be clear, is it connected this way now?

If so, please show the wireless display status on one of the devices' web GUIs. I want to see if you actually have the connection bandwidth you keep desiring to have.

Here is an example:

screen684

its connected with WWAN bridged to lan