Setting up Wifi Password

Hi All
I have installed openwrt Luci version and i want to setup a wifi key that everyone want to use my wifi have to type username and password?
How i do that

"Standard" wireless for home use only uses a password, with no username. If you want to have usernames and passwords for each, then you would likely need to implement "Enterprise" authentication, which typically requires an 802.1X server, such as FreeRadius. Another approach is a "captive portal", such as you might see in a public place or certain enterprise "guest" networks.

What are you trying to achieve?

3 Likes

Hi Jeff
Is those servers free?
Basically I want to learn i saw some places do this and i want to have one like this

And any links to setup the FreeRadius?

FreeRADUIS is GPL licensed, as I understand it. It isn't a turn-key deployment and can be pretty resource hungry. Personally, if I were to try it, I would not run FreeRADIUS on the router, but on another device, even something as simple as a Raspberry Pi or a VM on an always-up box of yours.

4 Likes

What about Captive Portal?
And what exactly you meant it would be pretty resource hungry?
Thanks Jeff

A captive portal is the type of network typically found in coffee shops or hotels. A user will connect to the wifi immediately (usually with no encryption) but any attempt to use the web leads to a page where they might simply click OK or have to enter a username and password, or any other challenge that the owner wants. Most phones and tablets will automatically open the portal page without needing to use a web browser directly. But the user's device must have some sort of interactive web browsing functionality.

A basic captive portal can be implemented standalone on an OpenWrt router with the nodogsplash or coovachilli packages.

An 802.1X network is typically found in offices or colleges. When someone clicks on the list of wifi networks to join it, their OS gives a dialog where a username and password must be entered instead of just a password. These are then passed back to the wifi network and checked against a database of authorized users by a RADIUS server.

"Resource hungry" in this case about FreeRADIUS primarily means RAM. With a small network there is not a lot of CPU time needed to process RADIUS requests, but it is a large program once everything is loaded up so you should have at least 128 MB of RAM. FreeRADIUS is not for beginners. It's quite impressive (and yes, free) once you understand it but there is a lot to getting started. There are cloud based RADIUS services which are very simple to use some of them may still have free usage with the number of users is less than 5 or 10.

5 Likes

Thanks Jeff
Any links that explains how to setup either of these techniques on my new openwrt

I really want to thank you for all the support you made to love the network

There's lots of terms to search on in the answers above. First you ought to define your use case and choose one of the two major methods.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.