Setting kernel boot params

Hi, Is there a way to set kernel parameters without building an image myself? Could not find a way to do so yet.

The answer to this is heavily device dependent (in many cases the CMDLINE is overridden by the device tree or the kernel itself), but in general, no (if you actually want to enable- or disable kernel configs, the answer is always no).

The device is a Netgear R7800. What you said explains why I could not find a way to do so...

You can set this in kernel_menuconfig.
There are 3 options under Boot Options

Set your boot parameters in "Default kernel command string"

Then set both "Kernel command line type" (one above one below) to extend.
But i think only the lower one needs to be set to extend.

i tried only with the first one set to extend and that didnt worked.

cat /proc/cmdline
console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/mtdblock7 ro rootdelay=1 rootfstype=jffs2 earlyprintk mtdparts=armada-nand:2048K(uboot)ro,256K(u_env),256K(s_env),1m@9m(devinfo),40m@10m(kernel),34m@16m(rootfs),40m@50m(alt_kernel),34m@56m(alt_rootfs),80m@10m(ubifs),-@90m(syscfg) isolcpus=0

I saw your post in the r7800 thread and i thought yeah why not give a try on my wrt1200.
On my device all network related interrupts are forced to cpu0 somehow.
So i set isolcpus=0 to make all user space programs run on cpu1.

That is almost how I did it, but my router does not have a default set of parameters, so I did no have to extend it. It is good to know the right way to do it. Thx.
I was hoping there is an easier way to do that without recompiling the firmware.

Actually I'm not sure if this is the right way but it works x)

I think it possible to modify the bootargs with the proper tools. For uboot, uboot-env package should contain the proper tools. But I haven't tried it.