Set VLAN ID for WAN interface without using Software VLAN

When i change eth0 to eth0.200 under wan interface in the network config file i will get a Software based VLAN. This means the cpu will be used for the processing? Is it possible to configure the WAN VLAN for hardware offloading? The router is a GL.inet Flint Ax1800.

I checked https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/vlan/switch_configuration#assigning_vlan_ids_on_vlan-enabled_switch_hardware

But this is about assigning vlans for the lan ports?

It is in eth0.7 format

I need to change it to vlan 200, so i changed it to eth0.200

This device isn't supported by the official OpenWrt project. The firmware that it runs is a highly modified fork that was developed by GL-Inet for thier products. Because of this, the VLAN behaviors on their firmware may be significantly different than that of the official OpenWrt. Therefore, you should ask for help on their forums.

1 Like

Ok, i see this IPQ60xx platform isn't supported by OpenWRT. What about ipq806x, ipq807x and ipq40xx devices? Do they support hardware based vlans? There are some posts in the forums that there are issues with vlans with these platforms, so i am not sure if can skip these platforms as i need full offload from the cpu when using multi wan vlans.

You have to communicate YOUR issues with GLINET software to them.

1 Like

In official OpenWrt, there's always going to be a 'software' component to VLANs (regardless of the platform). But in any device that has a built-in switch, the switch is configured to operate with the VLANs as desired (port-vlan membership, etc.) so that this doesn't burden the CPU.

For devices that don't have switches, but instead have multiple individually routed ports, you can make a bridge which is basically a software based unmanaged switch. In that context, it may burden the CPU if you have multiple ports tied together in bridges. The magnitude of the burden depends on the hardware platform (for example, x86 will not likely be noticeable, but a device with an SoC/CPU that doesn't have strong general-purpose performance may experience considerable slowdowns. Individual ports with VLANs, though, will not affect the CPU any differently than individual ports without VLANs.

The above is true for OpenWrt from the official project as well as many other platforms. But unless you are running Official OpenWrt, you need to ask the vendor/maintainer of the firmware you are using.