Set up 2 routers with the same PPPoE credentials?

I want to manage 2 routers at the same time, one of them will be the secondary (firewall deactivated, etc) and the primary will have all the ports/firewall configuration i want.

Thing is... is possible to connect via non-managed switch the ONT with 2 routers?

Thanks.

You shouldn't be connecting 2 routers to the ONT, connect one router which have the PPPoE credentials and firewall etc. then connect the second router to that in AP mode

2 Likes

Unlikely, but you might be lucky. I'd be surprised, though.

Your magic Google search terms to get you started are:

• FHRP
  • HSRP
  • VRRP
  • GLBP

If you do manage to get it to work, it'd be worth documenting your success for other forum members.

I have in the past successfully connected two routers to my ONT and configured both to use PPPoE using an L2 switch. However, most ISP's will not allow multiple authentications with the same PPPoE credentials. To get around this, I had a second set of credentials. It did help that I worked for the ISP at the time. If you do manage to authenticate with the same credentials, you may end up with a duplicate IP.

1 Like

Thanks for your replies, ill investigate about it and if i achieve something, ill post it.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.