Second router - no internet

Hello.
I was wondering if someone could help point me in the right direction with an issue I am having.

I have my main router at 192.168.1.1. This router is ISP provided and not replaceable.

I am configuring a second router at 192.168.8.1. The second router has OpenWrt installed.

The issue is that whenever I connect the Openwrt router to the main router via the WAN port of the Openwrt router to the LAN port of the first one, I get no internet connection.
I can see the opewnrt router is given an IP address for the WAN interface at 192.168.1.139.

So what am I missing? Why can't I get internet via the second router?

Thank you

Can you ping 192.168.1.1 from OpenWrt, than ping 8.8.8.8 for example (diagnostics in LuCI, or via SSH).
Is LuCI reporting DNS and gateway for the WAN interface?

1 Like

Hi mate,
Thanks for coming in to help.
I can ping from LuCI to router 192.168.1.1. I can't ping to 8.8.8.8:

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Network unreachable

LuCI is reporting the DNS address as 192.168.1.1

Would manually changing DNS servers help?
Thanks again

Is WAN (in LuCI OpenWrt) reporting a gateway? Assuming 192.168.1.1 for answer.

Are you able to enter the ISP router and perform some settings? For example set a DHCP lease for the OpenWrt router.

1 Like

This is something that should just work, assuming the OpenWrt router is at default settings other than changing OpenWrt's LAN IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.8.1.

No, as pinging sites by their numeric IP does not involve DNS.

3 Likes

Hi,
Yes. Gateway is showing as 192.168.1.1.
I have set the DHCP lease to permanent in the isp router for the openwrt wan.

1 Like

It's a fresh flash on a Linksys ea8300. Only changed the Lan to 192.168.8.1.
I thought it would've worked too. Any logs I can look at?

What does a traceroute to 8.8.8.8 from a host on the 192.168.8.1 LAN report? It should go to 8.1 then to 1.1 then to places on the Internet.

2 Likes

Please connect to your OpenWrt device using ssh and copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

ubus call system board
cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless
cat /etc/config/dhcp
cat /etc/config/firewall
1 Like

Hello all.
I've done a config reset and it's all working now.
Not sure what went wrong with the initial change.
Thank you for all your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.