Second "make" only outputs manifest file

I did a got clone and checkout of openwrt then did a make menuconfig set the device i wanted followed by a make. This produced the .bin files as expected but after doing a subsequent make menuconfig and adding a single package after doing a make again no bin files are created only manifest.

my
bin/targets/ar71xx/generic/config.seed
file contains the right device/packages that i added via make menuconfig

Any ideas where i've gone wrong?

#               Clean before building
                ---------------------
#make clean (dir/dist)
#  YMMV, but instead 
rm -rf bin build_dir tmp

Make won’t duplicate/populate another .bin if the bin directory is already populated.

package addition caused image size to exceed limit?

removed package but still same issue

Anything to be found in the logs/ dir files.

as per above, maybe some light house cleaning:

./scripts/diffconfig.sh > configdiffZ
rm -rf bin tmp
cp configdiffZ .config
make defconfig && make oldconfig

may have to enable more logging in menuconfig.

i tried a

make clean

then

make

same issue

ok i'll try that now if that works do i have to do that every time i want to add extra software via make menuconfig?

Just trying to find the issue at this point, since you have a clean build maybe try:

rm -rf bin
make defconfig
make V=sc

to see if it finished up with an error.
Note that when you add a package, the package and all dependencies are add to your config, but when you back a package out, the dependencies remain. So a reason to set aside configdiffs, as per above command, as you change things up.

./scripts/diffconfig.sh > configdiffZ
rm -rf bin tmp
cp configdiffZ .config
make defconfig && make oldconfig

no .bin

then

rm -rf bin
make defconfig
make V=sc

Saw this

[mktplinkfw] kernel length aligned to 1323672
[mktplinkfw] *** error: images are too big by 94502 bytes

I had only added the nano package. I removed and did

rm -rf bin
make defconfig
make V=sc
[mktplinkfw] kernel length aligned to 1323672
[mktplinkfw] *** error: images are too big by 73914 bytes

Which is very odd as it build fine the very first time?

Bit of an update when i build the default image and flash the router and then try and add nano via luci it says "not enough space" so that ties in with the build failing but if i try and remove nano form make menuconfig and try a make clean etc it still fails with too large so seems like files are still hanging about.

AR71xx? I thought, that was obsoleted by ATH79 ages ago? Are you sure you're attempting to build a recent snapshot?

no i'm building lede-17

That was last updated over 3 years ago. Why are you attempting to build such an old version?

Because it's the latest for the hardware and the building is fine just an issue with adding a package via make menuconfig and then trying to remove it again but files not cleaning up

small image

1 Like

Thanks for that i'll take a look, how do sort the issue with make menuconfig when removing packages the build still says too bug so seems like depenadancies etc are still kept even though unchecked in menuconfig.