Searching router for 10Mbps VPN

I watched Mikrotik boards, but they seemed to me big.
In the end, I ordered an GL-AR750S-Ext. Thanks for the help in choosing!

1 Like

I use a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with 128GB SD card and a USB3 TP-Link Archer T2U Nano v3 (Realtek chipset) for 802.11ac . $35 for the Pi and $15 for the TP-Link. This TP-Link does not allow client and AP concurrently, the onboard wifi does - but only the same channel being repeated.

It will do OpenVPN at 55Mbps. Wireguard would be a ton faster - but it does not provide the features I need.

Originally I tried OpenWRT but the driver used for the Realtek chipset on TP-Link is ancient and does not work - this also severely limited what else I could do with the device.

I ended up setting it up with straight Raspbian and the most up to date driver for the TP-Link.

This allows me to do multiple configurations.

If ethernet is available for WAN I use the onboard radio as a 2.4GHz AP and the TP-Link as a 5GHz AP

If I have 5GHz WAN available I'll configure the onboard radio as a repeater / client and AP for 5Ghz and the TP-Link for 2.4GHz AP.

Or if I only have 2.4GHz as WAN available I will use the onboard radio to repeat it and the TP-Link for 5GHz AP.

Using a device with only one radio as a repeater will cause the wifi speed to be cut in half.

Under normal idle conditions it will draw about 400mA. Maxing out all 4 CPU will pull 1.2A

Using Raspbian I can also use Docker, encrypted storage on the SD, and a Bluetooth serial console that I can connect to from Android or laptop to debug without physically connecting to it.

System setup in this case will be much more complicated than with OpenVRT?

This setup, yes. I just found that the hardware available in microrouters is laughable and overpriced compared to current ARM 'maker' devices available

There is a OpenWRT image for the PI if that is all you need. If you want to find a 2nd different USB radio that is supported by OpenWRT that would be easier than the route I took, but for me the flexibility was worth it.

Also with OpenWRT on the Pi 3b+ - it runs OpenVPN at 65Mbps - because it is running in 64bit mode. The Pi 4 will do 85Mbps from what I've seen.

Yes, I also drew attention to this. Perhaps there is some hidden reason?

What do you mean by flexibility? What can not be done on OpenWRT?

I just think its a function of scale. The Pi and maker boards basically use a cellphone chips which are hugely produced and therefore cheaper than the much smaller MIPS / router market.

The examples I put at the bottom of my first post. Docker, encryptfs for encrypted storage, bluetooth serial console. I could put Kodi on it and hook it to a TV and have a media center at the same time, do game emulation, use the IO pins on the Pi etc etc...

OpenWRT is a purpose built appliance OS.

This is a cool battery pack for the Pi as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19K1OfmRy7Y

3 Likes

Yes, in the case of a wearable device, OpenWRT is enough.

Yes, this is a very cool battery pack for the Raspberry Pi! Much more compact than mine with the 18650.
Perhaps it even fits in a standard case?