Script to list installed packages? (for simplifying sysupgrade)

I have updated my procedure above with your info. But you now have me curious about making backups.

• What's your preferred way to generate that backup?
  • Where do you store it - in the router's file system or on you laptop?
  • What commands do you use to create and restore the backup?

Thanks!

I just use LuCI to Generate Archive and store the backup file on my desktop pc.
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-quick-start/sysupgrade.luci

After I've upgraded and reinstalled LuCI and all my packages I upload the backup via LuCI. However, I usually just reconfigure all my settings manually. My setup isn't extremely complex.

Ah... yes of course. (I updated my procedure above to include that advice as well.) I was hopeful that you had some other trick for saving configs.

A while back, I had done some work on using the uci show command to dump certain configs, with the intent of re-playing them in the command line to re-configure. For example, see my config-cerowrt.sh script that I used to repeatably re-flash a router when the firmware was in heavy development.

uci show is a good way to build that script, but it doesn't make for a "plug and chug" procedure that novices can use. Thanks.

I recently performed a reset on my Archer c2600 router running 18.06.2 (squashfs image) to its initial state.

Prior to this I decided to use the opkgscript.sh script to save the list of all currently installed packages & then reuse the script to reinstall all the missing packages post reset.

A big thank you @richb-hanover for making me aware of this script, it has worked as intended when used in this particular manner! :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

However, in the intervening two years, the Attended Sysupgrade package now offers an automatic way to build a new image that contains all the user-installed packages with no manual intervention. Check it out.