Samsung Tumble Dryer Wifi and OpenWrt

Greetings,

I got a Samsung tumble dryer which got wifi on it. Tried to connect it to my normal network but it didn't work as I use 802.11r which is fine. Created a guest wifi but couldn't connect it properly, it would connect at first but then lose the connection after some time. I also couldn't ping the tumble dryer at all.
Tried on a different wifi system ( a Tenda I had here, which has also 802.11n) and it worked just fine so I thought it was something with my openwrt's router configuration. After many tests and fiddling even with DHCP configuration, the only way I was able to make it work was to set the Wifi mode to Legacy and it's now working flawlessly. Only problem with that is that it changed the guest and my main network's mode to Legacy.
I also tried to use "Allow legacy 802.11b rates" and keeping mode N but it didn't work.
Does anyone have any other ideas to get this working in a different way and why this is actually going on?

Many thanks!

Edit: Ops, just realised I didn't say anything about my router: I have a Belkin 3200 (E8450) running snapshot r19191.

What is the actual tech specs on the wifi for this device?

My experience of these low quality pointless IOT devices is that they at best can handle any wifi security at all and maybe at best wpa2.
They probably can have max 6-7 letters in the password, maybe also numbers and absolutely no special chars.

They probably can’t handle ssid that isn’t broadcasting its ID.

Forget wpa3 on these, that will be decades away.

So to get this to work you need a special IoT network and SSID with pointless security settings just for this device.
Or make the whole wifi network pointless in security to make the worst device in it to work.

Do you need a online connected tumble dryer to make laundry?

Sounds like your setting it up on Radio0.

Set up an IOT/Guest network on Radio1(b/g/n) instead. You’ll need to connect whatever device you use the app on to the same network whenever you want to control it.

1 Like

Thanks! I am able to control the device on any radio network, tested this just now and didn't have any issues.
Problem is that if I set radio1 to N, it will also set my main network (which is AX) to N as well, no?

If your tumble dryer is in the basement, and you are living on the second floor, you'd appreciate the option of your tumble dryer to signalise (by other means than acoustic signal which disturbs other people in the house) that your laundry is ready.

1 Like

No, they are two independent devices.

1 Like

Maybe I didn't explain it properly, my bad. I have 2 radios, one is 2.4Ghz (radio0) and one 5Ghz (radio1), if I create a second SSID on any of those radios, it will set the existing one to the same mode. Isn't that how it is supposed to work?