Samba4 doesn't build smb.conf correctly

I just built 19.07 for x86 and the upgrade went very well. I was using samba36 in 18.x and had some trouble browsing, so I decided to try to fix it and upgrade to samba4 to match my client.

Now I can't get samba4 working. The first problem seems to be that when /etc/init.d/samba4 dynamically builds smb.conf, it doesn't include the configured share...at all. It's just completely missing from smb.conf. Does anyone else see this?

• make sure you have samba3 uninstalled, also the luci-app-samba package.

You need to redo your shares, samba4 does not migrate the samba3 config. Just install luci-app-samba4 and setup your shares via luci or manually migrate your settings from /etc/config/samba to /etc/config/samba4.

Thanks! I think the problem was that I didn't think to check for a new, corresponding luci package for samba4. I have now installed luci-app-samba4. Should have guessed.

However, now luci says: Unable to dispatch: /cgi-bin/luci/admin/services/samba. I'm guessing a reboot will help since I swapped apps?

I just restarted uhttpd. Seems to be working. I'll try to configure samba4 now...

Yes, it seems to be working now. Ugh, I worked so hard to figure it out. So simple. Thanks!

Yeah actually the best way to install a luci supported package, is to just look for the luci package and only install it. Than usually the luci package itself will resolve all the needed package dependencies and conflicts. This helps avoid installing unnecessary packages, as example i see people just install all the samba4-?? packages, while only samba4-server+libs is needed to run the smb server.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.