Samba36 no longer existing in v21.02.0-rc4

Hi,
I switched from v19.07.7 to v21.02.0-rc4 on a Nexx WT3020 which is a MT7620n based device.
When I try to reinstall my share on the unit I discover that samba36-server was no longer provided. Unfortunately it is not possible to install samba4-server because the size of the package+dependencies is >10M (mainly due to samba4-libs) while samba36-server was close to 1MB (much more less!!!).
Is it possible to make the samba36 available for the v21.02?
Or
Is it possible to limit the set of dependencies needed from samb4-libs for samba4-serve to work?

• use extroot-overlay (with samba4)
  • use ksmbd
  • replace device
2 Likes

extroot-overlay: this method will lock the usb port to the overlay, meaning cannot be used for any usb key. As a result the normally removable USB disk will become a fix disk because of the overlay. Not flexible.

ksmbd: will try, THX didn't knew it.

replace device: not a serious option. I even have a modified unit with 16MB flash and it is still not enough. I really think you have to reconsider the samba4-server package+dependencies size.

THX

Its size is hardly Openwrt's fault...

2 Likes
  • developers make alot of effort to minify packages where applicable
  • samba4 is big... hence the focus on ksmbd
  • with samba4 you can exclude the avahi stuff if you don't want it, but afaik this requires removal manually or one by one package installation as it's part of the default selection
2 Likes

Use an USB hub.

tested ksmbd. The behavior is not exactly the same as samba36, don't understand why.
anyway for windows access always need smbV1 to be checked in luci config panel
........................samba36...........................ksmbd
XPSP2................OK...........................never find the device
XPSP3................OK...........................allways ask for usr/pwd while guest access is granted
W7......................OK...........................OK
W10....................OK...........................OK

Works well also with Debian10 and Debian11. Look like samba36 is much more faster to connect on old processors (most probably due to the crypto level used in ksmb)

good enough for my needs
THX to you all

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.