SAMBA - need open R/W for anyone on LAN

That's what I am talking about. There is a huge divide in the type of help given here, that style that says "I know how to do it and it is so easy" and that style of help that says , "happy to try to teach newcomers, I'd start with this, I'd look for firmware here and likely install pacakge x, y and z, and here's my configuration file that can likely tweak; let me know where you get stumped and I'll see if I can pull you out of the ditch, congratulations for trying to expand your skill set, I know it's taken me years to get here, so don't get discouraged"

Well, it is pretty much exactly what we did tell you earlier...

• Install packages (as mentioned earlier)
  • Partition storage device
  • Enable auto mount (as mentioned earlier)
  • Setup Samba (as mentioned earlier with a tiny modifiction to the startup script I provided)

NFS is a one liner so :wink:

I believe the best teachers are always the ones who can recall what it was like before their own light bulb went off and thus they can take people by the hand to guide them through a process to try to assist the student in their own learning process. It's something I am not always successful with but if you follow any of my posts online, you can see I make as much effort as I can to cause this to happen. There is no better reward for someone who enjoys the teaching experience to take a student to where they are from a knowledge point and to watch that student and rejoice when that student should grow even to a point to surpass their own knowledge level. For all the teachers who have brought me to this point in life I have to say that I am forever indebted to you and your patience. Thanks and you know who you are :slight_smile:

DonJuane -

gonna try and give you a few tips. I've been using samba3 for more than 6 years and recently upgraded to samba4. It's hard at first, but now I can say I dont have any questions about it's functionality in openWRT.

#1 - what FILESYSTEM do you have on the USB stick? if you format it fat32/W95/LBA/MBR, that's your filesystem from windows95, doesnt support permissions & userids & groups, it's wide open and that's why google hates it on Android. It you're f2fs or ext4, then the very basic rwxr-x-r-x perms on files & dirs might be your problem. Again that fat32 is your friend, because its 'chmod 777' which sounds like what you want.

#2 - I've seen your other posts about those GL-inet-whatever super-tiny Chinese GL-AR750 $29 specials off amazon. That's cool and all, the price is right, but I dont know if the openWRT devs are really supporting that hardware as Tier I. I bought a Linksys Venom, it's BIG - 7x9x2 - but I can say EVERYTHING WORKS and samba4 is in the GA repo. There's reasons why I chose what 1000s of other people are successfully using, rather than try and blaze a trail into Chinese bleeding edge/zero vendor support HW for $29. Hell, you can install openWRT on a $5 Raspberry Pi Zero if you just like to say "ha! cant believe this works!"

#3 - the windows laptop, you're coming at the samba share with - realize winXP wants to talk SMB 1.0, Windows 8 will try SMB 2.0, and Windows 10 will talk SMB 2.2, maybe 3.0 if its newer than v.1709 or whatever. It's best to test samba's behavior with (a rhel, centos or fedora) where you can do 'smbclient -d2 -L //openwrt/sharename -U userid' and then you don't have to wrack your brain trying to guess what your samba client is thinking.

Also, don't be so scared of snapshots - once you get the IPs & ssh sorted, it's two commands at the shell prompt to install LUCI. If you have a 'production' wireless AP, and then a 'test' one you can play with the snapshot, it takes away alot of the stress of "this %*&#$@# dont WORK!". If it's only $29 for another node, don't hurt yourself.

Small correction, Win8/10 is always SMB3.x first, Win7/Vista is SMB2.0, see the negotiation matrix here:

In windows you can check what version is used via powershell Get-SmbConnection.

Andy
you're partially right but I will say GPO objects coming from the domain controller will %*^$#-with what your windoze client will try/can speak. Dont forget the serverside smb.conf file can have incompatible settings too, if you copy-n-paste an old one from a prior config with a MAX_PROTOCOL set.

ref: 11 variations of the SMB protocol from the jurassic age to today
https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.html#SERVERMAXPROTOCOL

Again you can avoid all this by just using the real linux /bin/smbclient -d 2 blah blah syntax. Linux is even better at SMB - than windoze is: the result of Sun Microsystems suing Microsoft for $2B in 2004-2009.

Sure, but i just care about the default state for samba4 and our package, that is:
server max protocol = SMB3
If you have anything else in your config, than it should be pretty obvious what your max version is.

No clue what you mean, windows as smb server is still far more compatible and supports more locking options than samba4 does. I'm also unaware of any linux option that can match smb-direct's speed/latency.

I have my camper closet torn apart now relocating the espressobin and the 6TB drive. So I won't be able to test anything until I get that all put back togehter. It sounds like maybe I need to reformat the Linux drive to exFat to ensure none of the Linux file permission gotcha's are keeping me from accessing the data? I can't use NTFS because the write is very, very, very slow.

Exfat is not included by default via openwrt, you have to enable build patented or use a community build that has this enabled/included.

Than there is no real need to use a none linux fs, i actually recommend to use f2fs (ssd, usb, flash cards) or ext4/btrfs, since samba actually expects a linux native fs.
Just check the Filesystem and creation rules at the end of smb.conf.template .

If you uncomment (luci also has most of those options exposed) all those options, you get global read/write access for anyone and dos like filesystem behavior. The dos mode is not really needed, so you can try if all works while leaving fstype = FAT + dos filemode = Yes commented out.

The only reason to use exFat is, if you need to physically connect/disconnect the shared drive and want to use it on Windows/macOS as well. Than exFat is the easiest way, alternatively there exist decent ext2/3 drivers for windows as well.

There are multiple issues reported with f2fs so I wouldn't recommend it just yet, possibly when Linux 5.2 or so is out. exFAT is a good option if you want support in pretty much all common operating systems.

Just personal experience, but i use f2fs for 2 years with openwrt + samba4 and never had a issue.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.