Samba 4.x package support thread

mhh so you used the menuconfig option and enabled the ad-dc option, how did you install all? The ldb module should be provided by samba4 itself, it should be installed into the python dir. Can you check if the python dir is in the samba4 package?

Yep I enabled AD-DC in menuconfig and then installed samba4-server on my router from resulting custom feed along with krb5-server package and python and few other ones.
Also can confirm that there is a python dir in the package. I can see _ldb_text.py module there but it seems that it is not what it wants.

mhh i must admit i have not tested this option via package-builder, i know that https://github.com/val-kulkov was testing this config and it seemed to work for him, but i suspect he build its own full firmware. Maybe you can ping him and ask if he had a similar problem.

See what version optware provides. If you have the storage space, it may be a considerably easier route.

i'm user of asus ac88u arm device.
i've installed entware ng on merlin firmware.
'cause merlin firmware only supports samba 3.6, i've installed samba 4.9.2 entware repo.
but i guess it does not include nmbd. no nmbd file on /opt/sbin and restarting samba (S91smb script) shows nmbd fail message. nmbd -V shows ver 3.6.xx. by merlin firmware. i need nmbd version 4.x 'cause my oppo bluray player has log in issue on version 3.6.

For now i can only point to my https://github.com/Andy2244/openwrt-package-builder , you have to enable menuconfig in the config and than you can select netbios from the options menu.

I will compare the size again with netbios enabled and if its just a minor size change i will include it again in default builds, since there seem to-be a couple of users that still require netbios.

1 Like

thank you for reply.
i'll try but i do not know version, target, subtarget for my asus rt-ac88u running entware ng(maybe not supported router?).
i hope netbios enabled soon.

Ah sorry my fault, i assumed you use openwrt.
The merlin firmware is not compatible, supported with my builder. I also have no idea how entware builds it samba4 packages and the last time i asked them, they used some custom build file, not the one i'm maintaining for openwrt.

So even if i enable nmbd for my builds that wont help you, unless you switch to openwrt.

i have this error

become_local_master_browser: Error - cannot find server NO-MORE-LAG-ROUTER in workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.2.1

I am using the 4.9 package with a R7800 and it works quite good. However there is one strange thing, my write speeds a blazing fast, 40-55 MB/s with an sata ext4 disk connected to my router. The read speeds are unfortunately just half of that, and oscillate around 20MB/s. Whats causing that, I would expect the write speeds being significant lower than the write speeds, but not the other way around??
Any Idea how I can pimp the reading performance?

Is the e(SATA) interface any faster than that? Is the CPU pegged or just one core? Stock settings?

Faster than what? I use stock settings and the machine has a dual dual core with 1.7 gHz.

Read speed? :wink:
dd might be a bit misleading as it bypasses the filesystem if you plan to test read speed...
fio or atop (you'll need to recompile to get i/o stats however) might be worth having a look at.

Okay, Ill look into fit or atop but from my understanding reading should always be faster than writing, correct me if I am wrong?!

Probably not (in most cases) however if your interface is slow for whatever reason Samba wont magically make it any faster.

sorry I meant reading should always be faster than writing

Yes, if the io interface is not the limit, because nearly all ssd, hdd have higher read speeds.
The default values i picked seem to work for most configurations, i personally get max read/write speeds (100MB/s) on my WRT-1200AC on a ssd via esata interface and F2FS.

The only setting i was conflicted what the default openwrt should be is:
smb encrypt = default
This should just enable encrypted negotiation, but not encrypted data transfers, so should not have much impact on CPU usage. You can however try to set this to smb encrypt = off.

The next setting that historically might have some impact is: use sendfile = yes, try with use sendfile = no.

Changing socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY to socket options = IPTOS_THROUGHPUT sometimes also makes a difference.

Yet as noted the default settings should be adequate for most use cases.

PS: Btw what filesystem you are using for the share?
You can also experiment with the new kernel smb server cifsd.

Okay I’ll have a look at it. But in general reading should be faster than writing and not the other way around, right?

Yes faster or the same. There are some edge cases with zfs, btrfs filesystems and compression, where write speeds can be faster for io benchmarks.

My main usage is TimeMachine and a small file server. The hard drive is formatted as ext4. From what I understand F2FS might be better for flash drives but not for traditional disks, right?
I'll look into the settings you mentioned and report back!