Running ifconfig wlan1 up i get an error

Im just now starting to use openwrt and when I run this command: ifconfig wlan1 up
I get this error: ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
I'm guessing this is because I don't have the correct drivers installed for my usb wifi dongle. can someone please help me!

Openwrt uses ifup and Ifdown to trigger various other scripts by OpenWrt. If you just want to bring up an interface use the Linux util ip link set <interface> up.

I ran ip link set wlan1 up and got the same error again: ip: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device

When I run lsusb I get my usb wifi dongle: Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0bda:c811 Realtek 802.11ac NIC

A major feature of OpenWrt vs. other Linux distributions is extensive automated network configuration. Wireless devices don't exist until the UCI system has parsed the wifi configuration and created them. Use these high level OpenWrt commands:
wifi -- restart the wireless interfaces.
service network restart -- restart (almost) all networking

i ran the command and this still doesn't fix my issue

Run logread -f while you unplug and re-plug the dongle. Make sure that a driver claims it. If you just see "new speed USB device" and nothing after that, that does mean that the correct driver is not installed.

If you do have a driver then erase /etc/config/wireless and reboot with the dongle plugged in to create a new wifi-device in the wireless configuration file. Then you can modify the default wifi-iface block to configure it to an operating mode and attach it to a network.

Note that the functionality of USB dongles is limited and some drivers don't support all modes, for example no AP mode on most Realtek chips.

Im using a realtek usb wifi dongle right now. is it possible to use it to connect to the wifi and use a raspberry pis on board wifi chip to use as the AP