Running AdGuard on a Tp-Link Archer A7?

I have a small home network and I was using pi-hole before I installed OpenWRT on my router.
I'd like to see if I can do filtering on my router without a separate device.
I normally have ~5 devices connected including printer, phone, stereo, computer, etc. ,I don't do gaming, mostly just working and watching videos at night. Can this router handle AdGuard or a large blocklist? It looks like it's on the edge...

I'd say no.

sign up for a free for life cloud server account at Oracle, run your adguard (or pihole) there,
that's what I do.

That looks interesting - do instructions like these still apply ?

I set mine up 3 years ago, but the hard part is getting the server exposed to internet,
the webUI for Oracle Cloud isn't very intuitive, imho, and you need to perform several
actions to make it work.

I ended up allowing everyone to connect in the Oracle Cloud fw, and blocking them in
the Linux fw. The latter is so much easier to manipulate, using cli.

The OS is pretty straight forward, and the pihole is even easier.
You need to tighten up the security around the access to the host.

I wouldn't bother with the VPN tunnel, just make sure the DNS isn't
answering requests from all over the world.

I'm allowing my static IP from my ISP, and a couple of IP ranges
belonging to my mobile ISP, so I can block ads and stuff in my phone,
while being on the road.

This looks like a good walk through, except you don't want the Cleavr
part, whatever it is.

FYI: in the past Oracle required you to add a CC to the account,
so they could charge you. This has never happened to me, and the
card I gave them, expired a long time ago.
Never seen any reminders or request for a new CC to be entered.

thank you!

Followed this tutorial, works beautifully !

I originally tested AGH with a bt hub5 which only has 128mb of ram. as long you kept the lists to roughly 140k it was useable. I've switched to a 4gb R4S instead now and it takes anything I throw at it.

You could plug in an USB drive and use it as an external storage to install Adguard.

Be aware: If you use the manual installation and want to install Adguard in a different directory you have to change the install script like this:

#grab and install AGH and install it in a custom directory (/mnt/sda3/opt/adguard)
curl -s -S -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/master/scripts/install.sh  | sh -s -- -c edge -o /mnt/sda3/opt/adguard

Where /mnt/sda3/opt/adguard is the directory you want to install Adguard to.

I used to mess around with lists and hosts files also, use 94.140.14.14 as your DNS and your ads will "dissapear" lol. To my knowledge the DNS resolver might be owned by Kasperski or some other russian outlet so if security is paramount to you you might need a hosts file after all.

What's the /opt/ directory for? I tried installing AdGuard Home on a USB drive plugged into my Archer A7, but it didn't work:

/opt is for optional software as per linux filesystem guidelines.

The FHS defines /opt as “reserved for the installation of add-on application software packages .” In this context, “add-on” means software that is not part of the system; for example, any external or third-party software. This convention has its roots in the old UNIX systems built by vendors like AT&T, Sun, and DEC.

1 Like