RT3200 - Master Branch -> 22.03 Snapshot [Solved]

I didn't want to crowd the RT3200 thread in the developer section with a simple question like this.. How can I go from the current version of OpenWRT to the latest supported version of 22.03-SNAPSHOT? I don't see a drop-down for 22.03 in auc.

Do I need to use the sysupgrade images here: https://github.com/dangowrt/owrt-ubi-installer/releases? I had hoped to use the automation within AUC.

Currently running: SNAPSHOT - r19123-2de86691b6
Available Version: SNAPSHOT - r19435-c5f113c43f

I'm not sure how to get it in auc, but you can get it here, it's currently hidden because it's not officially released yet, if you need to get it again in the future just go to the url in the link.

It is not "the latest supported version", it is a "PRE release work in progress" and is still an "unstable" snapshot and can change at least every day. So use at your own risk. It is hidden for a reason.

1 Like

@daniel how can I leverage auc to upgrade from an older version of your DangoWRT (0.6.2 - using master branch??) image to the latest version of 22.03-Snapshot in anticipation of the release?

I had hoped that i can use the AUC services, instead of getting the sysupgrade image to from downloads.openwrt.org and updating.

Yes, you can do that:

auc -b 22.03 -B 22.03-SNAPSHOT

Also what was offered on my github page is not a communtiy build what-so-ever (you refer to DangoWRT, well, it's not. It's just plain upstream OpenWrt binaries, and using the ImageBuilder to include packages like if it was a release. Lately I've switched to even just a 1:1 copy of the official image)

Edit: dangowrt is just the Github profile I use for OpenWrt (I use different accounts for other projects).

4 Likes

The command worked perfectly. Thank you.

# auc -b 22.03 -B 22.03-SNAPSHOT
auc (0.2.4-8)
Server:    https://sysupgrade.openwrt.org
Running:   SNAPSHOT r19123-2de86691b6 on mediatek/mt7622 (linksys,e8450-ubi)
Available: 22.03-SNAPSHOT r19258-65144c96eb
Requesting package lists...
 kmod-usb-storage: 5.10.104-1 -> 5.10.110-1
 terminfo: 6.2-3 -> 6.3-1
Requesting build...................................
Downloading image from https://sysupgrade.openwrt.org/store/eb041861e689a76973f71f62b60a0433/openwrt-22.03-snapshot-r19258-65144c96eb-90bd16536143-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb
Writing to 'openwrt-22.03-snapshot-r19258-65144c96eb-90bd16536143-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb'
image verification succeeded
invoking sysupgrade
1 Like

yes is right :wink:

At what point is 22.03 due to become stable and released, and is there anywhere that can show what pull requests will be merged from master in to this branch.

I'm currently tracking master for RT3200 defvices, and its working really well with the current snapshot builds, wondering when it is recomended to switch from snapshot, and how many of the RT3200 relevant changes will make it from master in to this release branch before tagging.

1 Like

I don't expect there to be much activity on the 22.03 before we'll see the first release candidate. You can check the 22.03 branch, it was created a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

22.03.0-rc1 was tagged a few hours ago, and the buildbot is currently crunching builds. mt7622 is still in the build queue...

3 Likes

22.03.0-rc1 has been announced. Not yet the final release, but a release candidate.

Thanks for this! I have a couple of questions, which I think others may be interested in.

For OpenWrt newbies like me what's the significance of a release candidate vs a release or stable release?

Also how does release use compare with snapshot use for the many of us completely new to OpenWrt based on the RT3200? Hitherto packages would stop being able to be installed based on kernel issue requiring new snapshot install to install new packages or upgrade. How is that affected with release.

Also in terms of upgrading how does that work? Can we restore from saved config?

Simply sysupgrade with config intact. There is no major difference between master and 22.03 for RT3200/E8450.

22.03 is practically the master of mid-March 2022. Not yet much deviations from master snapshots since then.

See Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion - #2031 by hnyman

The final 22.03.0 release will be made from the same 22.03 branch as the rc1 now. There may be more small fixed before the release, but in general the RCs are pretty much the same that the final release will be.

1 Like

So for those of us really just wanting stable use we should switch over using command above?

Actually can we use auc to install the new 22.03 rc1? If so how? Sorry if this is not even a valid question. But I'm imagining saves having to download/install all already installed extra packages?

root@OpenWrt:~# auc -b 22.03 -B 22.03-0-rc1 -n
auc (0.2.5-2)
Server:    https://sysupgrade.openwrt.org
Running:   SNAPSHOT r19355-80f79beb95 on mediatek/mt7622 (linksys,e8450-ubi)
Invalid argument (22)

No idea if RC binaries are usually available in auc. (I have never used auc, as I build my own firmwares from sources.)

The rc1 binaries are available quite normally in the download repo, so you could download the image and flash it via sysupgrade and then reinstall the add-on packages.
https://downloads.openwrt.org/

Thanks. It would be nice to have convenience of auc to prevent having to manually install packages. I don't even know which extra ones I installed. Is there a command to find that out (i.e. the ones auc gets for me?).

auc has switches for release stuff:

root@OpenWrt:~# auc --help
auc (0.2.5-2)
auc: Attended sysUpgrade CLI client
Usage: auc [-b <branch>] [-B <ver>] [-c] [-f] [-h] [-r] [-y]
 -b <branch>    use specific release branch
 -B <ver>       use specific release version
 -c             only check if system is up-to-date
 -f             use force
 -h             output help
 -n             dry-run (don't download or upgrade)
 -r             check only for release upgrades
 -F <fstype>    override filesystem type
 -y             don't wait for user confirmation

Please report issues to improve the server:
https://github.com/aparcar/asu/issues

Certainly seems to make sense to me that if auc can be used for snapshots then it can be used for release candiates or releases too. Or am I missing something?

1 Like

Well, if the help text gives you a switch for a specific release, have you already tried this?
-B 22.03.0-rc1

1 Like

sorry, I didn't notice that you had already tried that.

Probably @aparcar or other auc maintainers will know if the rc1 release candidate gets available in auc.

2 Likes
2 Likes