RT3200/E8450 vs Dynalink DL-WRX36

if given the choice between the two which one should be choosen?

What I have understood so far, WR36 has larger ram and better specs, better radio.. but RT-3200/E8450 is easier to flash.

I don't have fast internet, just 50 Mbit/s FTTH. Router will be running adguard home(backup server) currently running it as a add-on on Homeassistant in Rpi4.

I will install a few opkg as required in future.

I would add filogic 830 to the list, which brings Mediatek roughly on par with ipq8072+, e.g.:

For your requirements, it's basically a toss of a coin.

Disclaimer: I only have hands-on experience with ipq8071a/ xiaomi ax3600.

Only drawback would be the requirement for serial during install, which makes it an even bigger nightmare than the WRX36.

1 Like

Already have some experience with serial. So I can try that too.

In terms of flashing OpenWrt, the DL-WRX36 is probably the easiest of these options.

Yeah, if one wants easy/ier WAX206 is probably the way to go.

1 Like

performance vis which is "better"

depends on your definition of "better" I guess.

1 Like

I mean, it will not be tested for its sqm performance. Only heavy transport will be between Synology NAS and wireless clients.
So need better radios and wireless throughput.
larger memory to support adguard home mid to large blocklists.

Between the RT3200 and the WRX36 the WRX has four ARM cores vs 2, 2200 MHz vs 1350, 1GB RAM vs 512M, also 2.5 GbE on one port. The question that I have is how good are the WiFi drivers, as ath11k was a disaster.

The MT7622 is actually an old chip that only recently saw adoption into a few models. The big thing the RT3200 has is that it can now be bought in the US for under $50, which is really a lot of performance for the price-- it is just fast enough to handle gigabit ISP service.

I consider the TUF-AX4200 to be in a different league, it looks like if it were sold in the US the price would be over $100.

4 Likes

can it match WRX36?

what about NSS build, that uses non-open drivers?

Don't buy anything with NSS in mind, its chances of being merged are just about zero. If you need the speed (you don't, not for 50 MBit/s wan), go with a device that can do it natively (mt7622, filogic 830).

2 Likes

Used as a dumb AP, I was underwhelmed by WRX36 WiFi performance at medium to long ranges - it looks great on paper though. I found the RT3200 to be much easier to flash than the WRX36. Positioned on the second floor, 5GHz WiFi performance through a floor and wall on a first floor client was better for me with an RT3200 too (80 MHz wide ax using channel 149, so the radio power could be increased to 27 dBm).

At closer distances and for CPU intensive gateway tasks like SQM, the WRX36 is probably a better bet if you are ready for a complicated flashing process, but as has been mentioned, you don't need a lot of CPU for 50 Mbps ISP service and the slower MT7622 is still good for half Gig range ISP service.

There are a number of recent reports that having a 160 MHz wide option available in the firmware, even if 160 MHz wide channels are not used, is causing very slow upload speeds on the mt76. It is something to be aware of, but also seems like the sort of thing the developers will take care of.

EDIT: Fixed by commits adfeda8491... and 063641f8cf... for MT7915 and alternately with a script edit for non MT7915.

1 Like

I'd go with dynalink, nss build works great, coverage and performance are beast, and it look nice.

If you're in US, and don't mind flashing via serial, the Reyee RG-E5 might be another option, open boxes sell for 35$ or so, on Ebay.

1 Like

It will not be merged. What does NSS stand for? I mean acronym.

The flash size is 16 MB; an ex-root is required from the get-go. No USB too.

True, would work fine as an AP, but perhaps not so much as main router, running tons of additional sw.

+1, not using nss build but regular build, great range and performance

NSS (Network Stream System) are the little cores (running at 800 Mhz) which can offload networking from main cores.

NSS builds can thus achieve even higher performance but the 4 * 2.2 GHz cores are powerful enough to do without (it can be useful on the 806x e.g. R7800)

But there are devices with 10G ports now, without NSS I'm afraid it might hit the ceiling easily by just using the 4x2.2GHz core.