RT-AC58U - Installing OpenWrt

Hello
I am thinking about buying AC58U and plan to install openwrt.
Will flashing this from the stock firmware upgrade page work?
If yes, then is there anything else i need to know? Does it come with a GUI?

Sorry if these are basic questions i am new and have not installed a custom router firmware before.

No.

For installation instructions

• snapshots do not come with a GUI, you have to install LuCI manually
  • releases like 18.06.x do come with GUI (LuCI)

Hi @tmomas
I'm talking about the transitional firmware that Noveon linked to from 4pda. Does it install directly from web interface?

Yes, it install from the GUI.

If you haven't bought it yet, prefer an ipq40xx device with more (256 MB) RAM instead; 128 MB RAM -as in the rt-ac58u- are insufficient for a device with two ath10k radios.

Does it install openwrt with GUI (luci)? Also, how would you update to newer version of openwrt when it is released?

What devices would you recommend? I can't find any router near the price of AC58U.
I mainly plan to use a maximum 100 mbps connection with SQM to get rid of bufferbloat

It doesn't matter what you use it for or how fast your WAN speed is, if it crashes due to RAM shortages. There is a reason why all ipq40xx devices, except the rt-ac58u, ship with ≥256 MB RAM, you need it.

Yes, it is.

There is Linksys EA6350 v3 - good for his price. There is a lot of devices on ebay.

If you can get a v3 device, it should be a good choice - but Linksys hides the hardware revision pretty well, making it quite of a gamble to buy them (v1/ v2 are unsupported and unsupportable, only v3 is usable).

I installed openwrt on ac58u following simple instructions. Everything was easy to set up. Very pleased with the router and firmware) All LEDs work out of the box, light up and blink. Before that, there was a rt-n18u router, but I had to change to ac58u due to the lack of wifi support.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.