RPi5 - firmware selector unable to build with certain packages

I've trying to get OpenWRT running a an Raspberry Pi 5, so I am limited to the snapshot build, as well as adding a few packages that I need:

luci-app-statistics
luci-proto-wireguard
mod-usb-net-rtl8152
luci
luci-ssl

The problem is, my current firmware, built a couple of days ago is now unable to install certain packages due to for example kernel being upgraded from 6.6.35 to 6.6.36, other packages report other errors.. Even if I build a new custom build with the above packages as of today, I am not able to complete the build in the firmware-selector due to errors:

Collected errors:

• opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package mod-usb-net-rtl8152.
    make[2]: *** [Makefile:220: package_install] Error 255
    make[1]: *** [Makefile:161: _call_manifest] Error 2
    make: *** [Makefile:322: manifest] Error 2

I know SNAPSHOT is the bleeding edge, and bound to have some issues, but is it very hit and miss or should the compatibility generally be OK?

You can use luci-app-attendedsysupgrade or auc to save pain in process. Sometimes it happens that due to version upgrade base libraries or kmods do not match up with the rest and you have to retry imagebuilder.
Or run own imagebuilder, the tool that does magic for selector and auc.

that's because it's kmod-, not mod-.

3 Likes

Your best bet if you can’t build from source is to watch for a snapshot download the same day and get everything you think you’ll need via opkg right after flashing. Anything kernel related is a must to get early.

As far as hit and miss, my experience overall has been pretty favourable as far as stability goes. The vast majority of commits are pretty well vetted before they get merged.

1 Like

lol, Yes I realised.. Silly mistake.

I've got a better understanding of the process now (Im new to OpenWRT).. The new daily build is out now and it has resolved the kernel issue I had with some packages.

Thanks for the help.

If you want to stay longer on a snapshot, try solution 4 from https://openwrt.org/faq/cannot_satisfy_dependencies

1 Like